Photon red shifting and Doppler effect

In summary: I'm just trying to provide a basic understanding of the doppler effect without going into too much detail.In summary, the doppler effect is the change in frequency of waves as an object moves away from an observer.
Sefer Tov
When thinking of sound waves (or more commonly seen waves) the doppler effect is fairly obvious.
A car is moving away from you, it's horn's membrane is fluctuating, increasing & reducing air pressure over time. So if it's moving away from you the sound's peak would occur further away, effectively lengthening the wavelength.
In this scenario, the frequency is not carried by any specific particle. If I examine any single air molecule, it doesn't contain any information about the wavelength, at best it can indicate (based on its energy) some intermediate phase of the wave.

However, with light, every single photon when created, already has a given frequency. It's frequency does not relate on the existence of any other photons around it, it's a given property of every photon.

In that scenario, I'm unclear as to how the doppler effect affects the photon. Why should it red shift? Meaning why its frequency should change just because the emitting object was moving away from me.
And please, don't just wave at me "that's a direct result from the equations of relativity" since that does not provide a simple explanation (for a layman such as myself) of the mechanics involved.

Also, if the same light source emits light equally in all directions (same energy for all photons) and there's an observer at front of it and behind it - both would receive light in different frequencies (red shifted and blue shifted) which means the photons have gained and lost energy depending on the direction of the moving light source.
I was under the impression that the moving (light emitting) object does not contribute energy to the photon if their vectors of motions have some correlation. (as opposed to classical physics where a man on a train throws a ball, then the ball would have a combined energy of the train and the speed provided by the thrower)

I'd appreciate some insight and explanation about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sefer Tov said:
However, with light, every single photon when created, already has a given frequency.
No it does not. The energy - and thus frequency - of the photon is a frame dependent quantity. Just like the energy of any other particle.
Sefer Tov said:
which means the photons have gained and lost energy depending on the direction of the moving light source.
again, energy is frame dependent. This is nothing particular for light. It would be the same for balls thrown from a car.

Likes vanhees71
Well, you see, if you take the covariant derivative of the inverse tensor along an affine connection...

Have you tried thinking about a photon as an excitation of an electromagnetic field? So the field is oscillating. If you look over a span of time, a wave packet comes in and the first peak hits an object that it's about to rebound off of. By the time the second peak comes into hit, the object has moved away, and thus the second peak actually has a larger distance to travel than the first one, and the third even longer.

This is, of course, a loose explanation.

1. What is photon red shifting?

Photon red shifting refers to the phenomenon where light waves are stretched out, causing them to appear more red, due to an increase in the distance between the source of the light and the observer. This can occur when the source of the light is moving away from the observer.

2. How does the Doppler effect contribute to photon red shifting?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave when the source or observer is in motion. In the case of photon red shifting, the motion of the source of the light away from the observer causes the light waves to be stretched out, resulting in a longer wavelength and a red shift.

3. Can photon red shifting occur with other colors besides red?

Yes, photon red shifting can occur with any color of light. The color of the light will shift towards the longer wavelength end of the visible light spectrum, which includes colors such as orange, yellow, and green.

4. How is the red shift of photons used to study the expansion of the universe?

The red shift of photons can be used to measure the rate at which galaxies are moving away from each other due to the expansion of the universe. By measuring the degree of red shifting in the light from distant galaxies, scientists can determine the speed at which the galaxies are moving away and calculate the expansion rate of the universe.

5. Are there any other factors that can cause photon red shifting besides the Doppler effect?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to photon red shifting, such as gravitational red shifting and cosmological red shifting. Gravitational red shifting occurs when light waves pass through a strong gravitational field, causing them to be stretched out. Cosmological red shifting is caused by the expansion of the universe itself, which stretches out the light waves as they travel through space.