Photon Spin & Polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses the polarization vectors of photons with ##m_s = \pm 1## and their relationship to helicity eigenstates, which are different from spin eigenstates due to the massless nature of photons. The helicity operator for photons is the Lorentz generator J_{12} of the stability little group G_{p} of p^{\mu} = E (1,0,0,-1), with E>0. It is explained that spin is the angular momentum in the rest frame of a particle, which cannot be defined for a photon due to its inability to be brought to rest. Helicity, on the other hand, is the component of angular momentum in the direction of the momentum.

PeroK

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Relationship between photon spin and polarisation.
In Griffiths Elementary Particles (2nd, revised edition) there is a footnote on page 241, which states that the photon states with ##m_s = \pm 1## are related to the polarization vector by:
$$\epsilon_+ = \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} (-1, -i, 0) \ \text{and} \ \epsilon_- = \frac 1 {\sqrt 2} (1, -i, 0)$$
But, he doesn't give any justification for this. How do we relate these spatial polarisation vectors to eigenstates of the relevant angular momentum or helicity operator?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Those are polarization vectors for right and left circular polarized waves.

Likes StenEdeback
Meir Achuz said:
Those are polarization vectors for right and left circular polarized waves.
Yes, I know. But aren't they also spin eigenstates?

They are helicity eigenstates. Massless fields are different wrt. spin-like degrees of freedom. For spin ##s## there are only 2 helicity-degrees of freedom rather than ##(2s+1)## for nassive particles. The reason is to be found in the analysis of the unitary reps. of the Poincare group. See Weinberg, QT of fields, vol. 1.

PeroK said:
Yes, I know. But aren't they also spin eigenstates?

No, because photons have no spin. But they are eigenstates of helicity.

Likes dextercioby and vanhees71
DrDu said:
No, because photons have no spin. But they are eigenstates of helicity.
How do we show that?

What is the helicity operator for photons?

PeroK said:
How do we show that?

For any massless particle, the helicity operator is the Lorentz generator [itex]J_{12}[/itex] of the stability little group* [itex]G_{p}[/itex] of [itex]p^{\mu} = E (1,0,0,-1)[/itex], with [itex]E>0[/itex].

* [itex]G_{p} = \big\{ \forall \Lambda \in SO(1,3) | \ \Lambda p = p \big\}[/itex]

Likes dextercioby, vanhees71 and PeroK
samalkhaiat said:
For any massless particle, the helicity operator is the Lorentz generator [itex]J_{12}[/itex] of the stability little group* [itex]G_{p}[/itex] of [itex]p^{\mu} = E (1,0,0,-1)[/itex], with [itex]E>0[/itex].

* [itex]G_{p} = \big\{ \forall \Lambda \in SO(1,3) | \ \Lambda p = p \big\}[/itex]
That explains why I couldn't figure it out myself. Thanks.

PeroK said:
How do we show that?

Spin is the angular momentum in the rest frame of a particle. As a photon cannot be brought to rest, we can't define its spin.

"Spin is the angular momentum in the rest frame of a particle "
That is a property of spin for a massive particle, not a definition.
Helicity is the component of angular momentum in the direction of the momentum.
It's just a quibble over words.

Likes PeroK