Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photonic density of state in matter

1. Sep 28, 2014 #1
    I'm a beginner in quantum optics. I always become confusing when the material's refractive index is complex. This time is about the photonic density of states.

We know that if the material is not absorbing or dissipative, meaning the refractive index is a real number, the local photonic density of states is proportional to the cubic of the refractive index. It seems that even when the refractive index is complex, its imaginary part will not affect the result because the imaginary part will not affect the amplitude and have nothing to do will the wave-vector as well as the dispersion relation.

On the other hand, the local photonic density of state can be characterized by the emitted power from the source according to Fermi's Golden Rule. A very strange thing is in a dissipative media, the actual emitted power will be larger than the non-dissipative one even the real part of refractive index is the same, meaning the local photonic density of state will also be affected by the imaginary part of the refractive index . I observe this result in optical simulation and can accept it according to my daily-life intuition. But I cannot find the theoretical explanation. Does any one can help me to understand it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2014 #2
    Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3
    No, it's fine

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook