Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Photon's perspective - we are one photon

1. Apr 15, 2008 #1
    I guess this is my last theme here with this nick and from this IP:) But I just love the answer that came to my mind (maybe it is posted somewhere here, but I could not find it).

1) Our reality:
    If the thing traveling would have the brain operating the same way as our brain (or any other physical process know to us) is operating, then during a travel at the speed of light we would see him having the last thought before starting the trip halted all the time in his head. For the thought to move a bit ahead he would have to observe the chased light to move away from him a bit. So no our space could look flat to him or anything until he slowed down a bit. I.e. he would be unable to reflect about anything in our world during his travel. He will be able to tell nothing about our world as he will not be able to have a thought while crossing it.

2) Photon's reality:
    At the moment he starts the travel He would see the whole our world shrink to 0 size having 0 mass and running away from him in the opposite direction of him with the speed of light. Or rather him growing as a new universe and us becoming just a photon in that universe.

If relative thinking then relative thinking till the end, so to say:)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2008 #2
    Pervect said when locking an earlier thread:

and when locking another:

Pervect,

Where is the reference to earlier discussion? I am entirely happy with a photon not having a perspective, a photon not being a cognitive being. But I want to read earlier stuff about a photon not having a reference frame.

It just seems to me that if a photon has no reference frame then there is some inherent asymmetry.

When subluminal approach speeds are considered there is symmetry in that the speed at which I approach you (in your rest frame) is equal to the speed at which you approach me (in my rest frame). This should make our respective overall relative speeds the same, even with a tangential component of the relative velocities (since the tangential component is shared).

What you are saying is that, if I consider a photon, that symmetry doesn't exist.

Is that so? (Not trying to be a smartarse, just trying to confirm that this is what you are saying. I am not necessariliy saying that the symmetry is something that we categorically must have.)

cheers,

neopolitan

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?