1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phthalic Anhydride derived Polyesters and Nylon structures+reactions?

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    Phthalic Anhydride derived Polyesters and Nylon structures+reactions????

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im doing a lab for Materials science for engineers.
    they want to know how phthalic anhydride and ethylene glycol makes a polyester. They also want to know how that and glycerin make a polyester.

After that we made nylon from sebacoyl chloride and hexamethylenediamine.

Im a first year student and I have no clue how these reactions work, they didnt teach us about the chemistry just the mechanical properties once the polymer chains are formed.

2. Relevant equations
    Phtalic anhydride: 100px-Phthalic_anhydride.png

ethylene glycol:

glycerin:
    Glycerin.gif

sebacoyl chloride:
    111-19-3.gif

hexamethylenediamine:

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that the OHs would probably react with each other on the ends of the molecule but I have no idea what the polyester structure would be of the either the phthalic anhydride derived polyesters or the nylon-6,10.

I do know that there are probably two reactions from the ethylene glycol with the oxygens in the phthalic anhydride but nothing further than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    Re: Phthalic Anhydride derived Polyesters and Nylon structures+reactions????

oops the pictures for the different chemicals dont work, ill try and fix it

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook