Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Phthalic Anhydride derived Polyesters and Nylon structures+reactions?

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    Phthalic Anhydride derived Polyesters and Nylon structures+reactions????

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Im doing a lab for Materials science for engineers.
    they want to know how phthalic anhydride and ethylene glycol makes a polyester. They also want to know how that and glycerin make a polyester.

After that we made nylon from sebacoyl chloride and hexamethylenediamine.

Im a first year student and I have no clue how these reactions work, they didnt teach us about the chemistry just the mechanical properties once the polymer chains are formed.

2. Relevant equations
    Phtalic anhydride: 100px-Phthalic_anhydride.png

ethylene glycol:

glycerin:
    Glycerin.gif

sebacoyl chloride:
    111-19-3.gif

hexamethylenediamine:

3. The attempt at a solution

I figured that the OHs would probably react with each other on the ends of the molecule but I have no idea what the polyester structure would be of the either the phthalic anhydride derived polyesters or the nylon-6,10.

I do know that there are probably two reactions from the ethylene glycol with the oxygens in the phthalic anhydride but nothing further than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    Re: Phthalic Anhydride derived Polyesters and Nylon structures+reactions????

oops the pictures for the different chemicals dont work, ill try and fix it

4. Feb 6, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook