Phys graduates, do people assume you know more than you actually do?

• Thread starter AntiElephant
  • Start date
In summary, people's assumption that someone with a physics degree knows everything about technology is not always accurate.
AntiElephant
I find that since graduating a lot of people assume you know everything about everything that uses/involves physics ever, from understanding how a light bulb works to knowing the complete inner workings of hydroelectric dams. Some questions are more convoluted than others, but can anyone here honestly say they can correctly apply knowledge from their degree to understand most modern technology?

I'm not sure whether I'm asking this question to the best of my ability, but I think it really boils down to this: Do people assume too much about the practical knowledge obtained from your degree?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm only a second year physics student, but let me give you what I think.
Its definitely true that you could probably go through your physics degree taking only a single practical physics course, and the rest consisting of all theory courses. In such a case, your practical knowledge would probably be minuscule. But as a physics major you could also lean towards a more applied spectrum taking signals/systems/time series analysis, electronics labs, more practical components dealing with equipment from neon-helium lasers to the workings of dc motors. So it goes both ways. Someone graduating from a physics degree may know just as much about technology as the person graduating from engineering. But it is often the case that this is not true (based on my own experience of people around me).

AntiElephant said:
I find that since graduating a lot of people assume you know everything about everything that uses/involves physics ever, from understanding how a light bulb works to knowing the complete inner workings of hydroelectric dams. Some questions are more convoluted than others, but can anyone here honestly say they can correctly apply knowledge from their degree to understand most modern technology?

I'm not sure whether I'm asking this question to the best of my ability, but I think it really boils down to this: Do do people assume too much about the practical knowledge obtained from your degree?

To illustrate your point, I'm an undergrad and I was talking to one of my physics professors who has a degree in, I think, nanotechnology or something like that. He's a physics Phd, so I thought he'd be able to answer some questions about particle physics or astrophysics. I quickly found out that I know quite a bit more regarding those topics than he does.

People don't understand that the topic of physics is huge, and a Phd isn't going to know a lot about the entirety of physics; they're going to be experts on a relatively small area of physics.
Some people are so unaware of that fact that they even classify scientists as people who are experts of science. I don't want to divert the topic, but one thing that gets me is people who talk about scientists who oppose evolution, and you find out those scientists are not biologists. It means nothing. A physicist's opinion on evolution means as little as mine.

Well, I might not know the inner workings of a hydro-electric dam, but at least I would be able to point you to the underlying physical principles (potential energy of the water being converted into kinetic energy and then into electric energy by a generator).

I guess if someone asked me an engineering question, I might point them to the basics, but that's about all I can do haha.

First of all, it is important to acknowledge that obtaining a degree in physics does not make one an expert in all areas of physics. Just like any other field, there are different specializations within physics and not all graduates will have the same level of knowledge in all areas.

That being said, it is common for people to assume that someone with a degree in physics has a deep understanding of all things related to physics. This is likely due to the fact that physics is a complex and highly technical subject, and those who have studied it are often seen as highly intelligent and knowledgeable.

However, it is important to remember that a degree in physics is not just about memorizing equations and theories. It also teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that can be applied to a wide range of topics and industries. So while a physics graduate may not know everything about every modern technology, they have the ability to understand and analyze it using their knowledge and skills.

Furthermore, it is unrealistic to expect anyone, regardless of their degree, to have a complete understanding of all modern technology. Technology is constantly evolving and advancing, and it would be impossible for anyone to keep up with every single development.

In conclusion, while it is understandable for people to assume that physics graduates have a broad understanding of the subject, it is important to recognize that their knowledge and skills may be more specialized and may not extend to every aspect of modern technology. It is important to have realistic expectations and to not put undue pressure on individuals based on their degree.

What is the most common misconception about Phys graduates?

The most common misconception about Phys graduates is that they know everything about physics and can solve any problem related to the subject. While they have a strong foundation in physics, they are not experts in all areas and may need to research or consult with others for certain topics.

Do people assume that Phys graduates are automatically good at math?

Yes, there is often an assumption that Phys graduates are also excellent at math. While math is a crucial component of physics, not all Phys graduates are equally skilled in math. Some may excel in theoretical concepts, while others may struggle with complex calculations.

Are Phys graduates expected to have all the answers about scientific theories and discoveries?

No, it is not realistic to expect Phys graduates to have all the answers about scientific theories and discoveries. They may have a general understanding of different theories and discoveries, but they are not experts in all fields of science.

Do people assume that Phys graduates only work in research or academia?

There is a common misconception that Phys graduates can only work in research or academia. While these are popular career paths for Phys graduates, they also have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as engineering, technology, and finance.

Do Phys graduates feel pressure to always have the correct answer in scientific discussions?

Yes, Phys graduates may feel pressure to always have the correct answer in scientific discussions, especially when their knowledge is being tested. However, it is important to remember that they are still human and may not have all the answers, and it is okay to admit when they do not know something.