1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Chemistry Problem, Evacuated tube - where does reaction take place?

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two balls, one soaked in concentrated HCl and the other in NH4OH are placed at the left and right ends of a 1m long evacuated glass tube, respectively. HCl and ammonia vaporize and travel down the tube, reacting to form a white ring where they meet. Where does the ring form?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure what to do with this. At first I thought it dealt with diffusion but I couldn't get anything useful (unless I'm overlooking something). Then I realised the tube is empty, so can I just use the average speed o the gas molecules and see where the gasses meet or will that not work? Speed is not a vector though, so do I have to find the velocity of the net movement of the gases towards each other? If so how would I calculate that?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The speed of the molecules is somewhere at ~500m/s, which means that they need ~2ms to travel through the pipe in vacuum. The preparation of your experiment will need much more time.
    One of the gases might evaporate quicker (and therefore in a larger amount), and shift the reaction area towards the other side. That is just a guess, however.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook