Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Physical interpretation of a Hamiltonian with a constraint

1. Dec 14, 2017 #1
    Dear physics forums,

What is the physical interpretation of imposing the following constrain on a Hamiltonian:
    [tex] Tr(\hat H^2)=2\omega ^2 [/tex]
    where [itex]\omega[/itex] is a given constant. I am not very familiar with why is the trace of the hamiltonian there.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

The physical interpretation requires a physical context, and you didn't explain the physical context. At the very least, you should provide the reference in which this constraint is introduced.

4. Dec 15, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Without the context, I would guess that the Hamiltonian describes a two-state system (hence the factor 2) both of which have the same energy ##\omega##.

5. Dec 15, 2017 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In case the OP didn't know this already---for any operator, the trace is equal to the sum of the eigenvalues. So if the trace of [itex]H^2[/itex] is [itex]2\omega^2[/itex], then it means that the energy eigenvalues are such that [itex]E_1^2 + E_2^2 + ... = 2\omega^2[/itex]. Demystifier's example is one of the simplest: [itex]E_1 = E_2 = \omega[/itex]. Or it could be [itex]E_1 = \omega, E_2 = -\omega[/itex]. Or it could be [itex]E_1 = \omega, E_2 = \omega/\sqrt{2}, E_3 = \omega/\sqrt{4}, E_4 = \omega/\sqrt{8} ...[/itex]

The sum of the eigenvalues doesn't seem to me to be a "constraint" on the Hamiltonian, it's just a fact about it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted