Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical interpretation of Lorentz invariant fermion field product?

1. Nov 24, 2009 #1
    Hey all!
    Just a very short question: May I interpret the Lorenz invariant quantity

[tex]\bar\psi\psi[/tex]

as being the probability density of a fermion field? Thanks!
    Blue2script

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2009 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

No, because it is not positive.

4. Nov 24, 2009 #3
    Hmm.. right. But then, what is the physical interpretation of the product above? And what is the probability density of a fermion field?

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    as far as i know there is no propability interpretation of fermion fields only charge density.

6. Nov 24, 2009 #5
    the interpretation of [tex]\bar\psi\psi[/tex] is that it transforms under lorentz boosts like a scalar.

7. Nov 25, 2009 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Fermion field is an operator, so it does not have a probabilistic interpretation. However, one should distinguish the field operator from the wave function which is a c-number function representing a quantum state. For a 1-particle wave function [tex]\psi[/tex], the probability density is
    [tex]\psi^{\dagger}\psi[/tex]

8. Nov 25, 2009 #7
    you mean [tex]\psi^{*}\psi[/tex] because [tex]\psi[/tex] is a scalar ? but eitherway its okay to write it with a dagger.

9. Nov 26, 2009 #8

Demystifier

Science Advisor

I mean dagger because psi a spinor, i.e., a 4-component wave function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook