Physical interpretation of one of Hamilton's equations

In summary, the question is about a passage from a book on quantum mechanics that includes an equation 1.25 with a centripetal force factor and a moment arm factor. The asker is confused about how the centripetal force factor reduces to mv2/r and how the moment arm is related to torque. They make some progress in their attempt at a solution by considering phi = σ, but are still looking for clarification.
Syrus

Homework Statement

I've attached a picture from a passage of my book (Liboff, Quantum Mechanics) with which I am having difficulty. Specifically, equation 1.25 claims to possesses a certripetal force factor (in the text underneith) and a moment arm factor. I see both of these terms present. However, shouldn't the centripetal force factor reduce to mv2/r? Also, i assume the moment arm is included because torque is formally (clasically) r x F. However, here θ denotes the polar angle, and so rcos(θ) is the z-component of r. As a result, I don't see how this expression amounts to the torque. Can someone clarify this for me?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• img003.jpg
    img003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I may have made some progress already:

For everything below, phi = σ.

In this case, mv2/r is equal to m(rσ)2/r = mrσ2. Now, r x F = |r| |F| sin(ζ), where ζ is the angle between r and F. But this must mean here that sin(θ)cos(θ) = sin(ζ), and this is (perhaps?) what I don't see.

**Upon second thought, this centripetal force arises from motion in the phi direction at constant r and theta, so the cross product is simply the product of the magnitudes r and F (since the angle between these two vectors is always 90 degrees). Thus, disregard my comments above.

Last edited:
Still looking for help!

1. What is the physical interpretation of Hamilton's equations?

Hamilton's equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the motion of a physical system in terms of its position and momentum. The physical interpretation of these equations is that they describe the dynamics of a system, meaning how its position and momentum change over time.

2. How are Hamilton's equations derived?

Hamilton's equations are derived from the Hamiltonian formalism, which is an alternative formulation of classical mechanics. The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that combines the system's kinetic and potential energies, and the equations are derived by taking the partial derivatives of the Hamiltonian with respect to the system's position and momentum variables.

3. What is the significance of Hamilton's equations in physics?

Hamilton's equations play a crucial role in classical mechanics and have many applications in physics, including celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. They provide a powerful mathematical framework for describing the dynamics of physical systems and have been instrumental in many significant discoveries and developments in physics.

4. How do Hamilton's equations relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Hamilton's equations are equivalent to Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on a system is equal to the rate of change of its momentum. This equivalence allows us to use Hamilton's equations to solve problems in classical mechanics that would traditionally be solved using Newton's laws.

5. Can Hamilton's equations be applied to non-conservative systems?

Yes, Hamilton's equations can be applied to both conservative and non-conservative systems. In conservative systems, the Hamiltonian is equal to the total energy of the system, while in non-conservative systems, the Hamiltonian may include terms for external forces or dissipation. In both cases, Hamilton's equations provide a complete description of the system's dynamics.