1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical Proof that these movies obey Laws of Physics

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    Hey guyz....
    Im still kind of stuck on a couple of stuff...i still got a these movies left to PROVE! that it obeys the laws and fundamentals of physics...
    1)Apollo 13
    2)The terminator
    3)October Sky
    4)The Day after tommorw

HELP!!!!please this is an ISU..its worth 15% of my mark...i need it today...if latest tomorow in the morining!!>>.THANK YOU
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2
    Woa I am no expert here but I'll give a helping hand (I don't know what exactly kind of proof you're asking for, I'm hoping and opting for a non-mathematical but rather theoretical based one)

1) As far as I remember the movie, it was based on normal real-life facts, and as far as I remember Apollo 13 incident didn't violate any Laws Of Physics, because if it did...we would know! This movie is rather safe in my opinion, yet everyone can point out any scenes to further discuss.

2) This movie is rather disturbing me. I think that, out of the four, this one is the one that's less safe. There are several facts here that I am worried about, like
    i) Momentum of bullets. The actual "Hollywood effect" that bullets shot at you make you jump 10 feet backwards regardless of the actual physics interpretation.
    ii) Liquid metal behaviour in relatively high temperatures. (May seem funny but if anyone could explain the physics behind this, he would be more useful than me!)
    iii) The scene with the electromagnetic field that spawned Swarzenneger.
    iv) The very Time-Travelling itself...

3) Not watched the movie have I.

4) Well, I think that The Day After Tomorrow is pretty safe too. The whole plot of TDAT is that a crack in one of the Poles causes significant weather and geological disturbances that create an array of catastrophic events all over the globe. That may be a little abstract and lightly based, though there is no Fundamental Law-altering effect like Terminator for example. Yet there is a chance that no catastrophic events will occur if something happens around the poles, but I am not sure about that.

Sorry for the wall-of-text, I hope I have proven to be of help..anyhow..:P

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    thank you karkas....
    i really apraciate your help...
    but i need proof that it obeys physics not disobeys
    ////best proof i can get is with equations....im hoping on finding the solution ASAP!!
    like i said...thank you for ur help!
  5. Jan 6, 2009 #4

Staff: Mentor

Jeez, could you have started this assignment any more last minute? This is a big topic and you probably need to write a few pages on each (after spending 10 hours watching them all!)! These movies, quite obviously, have a collection of scenes in them - some of which may obey, some of which may not. Your assignment probably intends for you to comment on a number of scenes in each. You have a lot of work to do.
  6. Jan 6, 2009 #5

Staff: Mentor

As you will find if you read the PF Rules link at the top of the page, we do not do your homework for you here. That's not what the PF is for.

And as Russ says, do not wait until the last minute next time on your assignments. Please think a bit about what it means to have good study habits, to budget your study time well, and to do a good job on assignments.

We will not make up for your lack of planning and effort by helping you cheat.
  7. Jan 7, 2009 #6

Gold Member

Or, as the sign in the shop says: 'Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.'
  8. Jan 7, 2009 #7
    october sky may be ok, but i'm a bit concerned with the values which he caluclates as to the location of the lost rocket. have to check again.
  9. Jan 7, 2009 #8
    I'm confused about the terminator obeying the laws of physics, since a major part of the story is to do with time travel, and as far as I know that hasn't even been shown to be possible, even in principle.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?