Physical properties of materials in the human body

In summary, the human body consists of different kinds of cells, which are put together to form tissues, which in turn form systems in the body.
Avatrin
I am looking for resources on the physical properties of the various components that make up the human body.

As an example of what I am looking for; If we look at the finger, we know it has bones, skins, nails, blood etc. What are the various physical properties of these different parts (electromagnetic properties, mechanical properties etc)?

I am looking for resources on this.

Biology news on Phys.org
You'll probably have better luck if you search by the specific property that you're interested in and refine the search by various tissues rather than "body parts."

Choppy said:
You'll probably have better luck if you search by the specific property that you're interested in and refine the search by various tissues rather than "body parts."

Yeah, my phasing was poor. I did not mean the properies of the arm or the head. I am essentially looking for resources that tells me:
1) The physical properties of various tissues
2) Where in the body these tissues can be found

Avatrin said:
Yeah, my phasing was poor. I did not mean the properies of the arm or the head. I am essentially looking for resources that tells me:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0763737925/?tag=pfamazon01-20
51SkP5J0eWL._SX385_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

@berkeman contribution will help zero in on what you may mean. But what do you mean by 'physical properties'? Biophysics covers what I am guessing you want: example Young's modulus for bones. https://www.doitpoms.ac.uk/tlplib/bones/bone_mechanical.php

Physical properties like density of bone, etc., change with age, disease, nutrition, and environmental factors. It is not like building material you buy at the lumber yard. In short, from an engineer's point of view, it could be a nightmare. Physicians expect huge differences and know how to deal with it on a daily basis.

Please.
Instead of asking for properties, pretend you don't quite know what you need. Which might be sort of correct, I don't know.

Tell us what you are trying to do
!.

Somebody here will know to do it. I don't think an anatomy text will get you very far for some kinds of investigations. You'll be surprised how the topic can veer off from where you think it ought to be going.

PS: anatomy books are great. Period. Get one, no matter what you are doing with human Biology.

Likes berkeman
Avatrin said:
As an example of what I am looking for; If we look at the finger, we know it has bones, skins, nails, blood etc. What are the various physical properties of these different parts (electromagnetic properties, mechanical properties etc)?

I am looking for resources on this.

You need to be much more specific in what your query/question is, or we're not going to be able to help you..

Avatrin said:

ibid..

berkeman said:
@Avatrin -- So have a look at the table of contents of the Anatomy & Physiology (A&P) book that I posted earlier. You will see that you first learn about the different kinds of cells in the human body, and then you learn how the different cells are put together to form different kinds of tissues (like muscles and bones). And then you learn how all of that goes together to form the different systems in the human body. It sounds like you could get a lot out of a book like this.

Also, this particular A&P book is written for Paramedics and other Emergency Responders, so it contains sidebars along the way explaining the Pathophysiology of the different building blocks and systems in the body. That means it discusses the different ways things can go wrong (through disability, injury, illness, etc.), and the ways to address those Pathophysiologies. That may also be important in helping to answer your questions.

(BTW -- This particular book is a very inexpensive soft cover version, and I highly recommend it)

AnP ToC Paramedic Edition.jpg

1. What are the most common physical properties of materials found in the human body?

The most common physical properties of materials in the human body include density, elasticity, electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, and tensile strength.

2. How do physical properties of materials in the human body affect our health?

The physical properties of materials in the human body can have a significant impact on our health. For example, the density of bones can affect their strength and risk of fracture, and the conductivity of nerves can impact our ability to feel sensations and control movement.

3. Can physical properties of materials in the human body change over time?

Yes, physical properties of materials in the human body can change over time. For instance, bones can become less dense and more brittle with age, and the elasticity of skin decreases as we get older.

4. Are there any technologies that can measure the physical properties of materials in the human body?

Yes, there are various technologies that can measure the physical properties of materials in the human body. Some examples include X-rays and CT scans to measure bone density, and electromyography to measure electrical conductivity in muscles.

5. How do researchers study the physical properties of materials in the human body?

Researchers use a variety of methods to study the physical properties of materials in the human body, including laboratory experiments, imaging techniques, and computer simulations. They also often collaborate with medical professionals to collect data from patients and analyze the physical properties of their tissues and organs.