Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical reason behind Plane Stress

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    I can now although do the maths related to plane stress etc but I have struggled to grasp the logic behind this concept. It says changing the way you see the stress by rotating the view, stress changes. My question is why ? Why is this so that we see stress with one value when standing at lets say 0 degrees with the axis of pipe under stress and different when we see it from 45 degrees rotated ? Is it some inherent material property or the force isn't really acting the way as we think and show in free body diagrams ? Can someone put it up simple ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2
    It's a function of mohrs circle. Plot the mohrs circle.you will see at different angles on the circle there is different stresses. In a real scenario if you put.steel in a tensile machine and pull it , it will shear at 45 degrees, this is because its maximum shear angle is 45 degrees

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook