Physics 11 work done by friction

N*In summary, Magen's mass is 28kg and she reaches a velocity of 3.2m/s at the bottom of a 4.8m slide. The mechanical energy at the top of the slide is equal to the mechanical energy at the bottom of the slide, so the work done by friction can be calculated by subtracting the initial mechanical energy from the final mechanical energy. Using the equations for potential and kinetic energy, the work done by friction on Magen is 1.2x10^3 N.
Iceclover

Homework Statement

Magen's mass is 28kg. she climbs the 4.8m ladder of a slide and reaches a v3elocity of 3.2m/s at the bottom of the slide. How much work was done by friction on Magen

Homework Equations

Ep=mgh
Ek=1/2mv^2
W=Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just have no idea, could someone just guide me in the right direction or give me the first step?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the following things:
  1. How much mechanical energy does she have at the top of the slide?
  2. At the bottom of the slide?
  3. What could have happened on the slide that would have changed the mechanical energy?

Just keep track of the mechanical energy. If any is missing, assume it was lost to friction. What's her energy at the top? At the bottom? Subtract!

(Saketh beat me too it! :smile: )

so would i use Eki+Epi=Ekf+Epf?

oooh ok i think i get it...i think. The answer i came up with was 1.2x10^3

1. What is work done by friction in Physics 11?

The work done by friction in Physics 11 is the amount of energy that is expended when an object is moved along a surface while experiencing frictional force. It is a measure of the resistance to motion caused by the interaction between two surfaces.

2. How is the work done by friction calculated?

The work done by friction can be calculated by multiplying the force of friction by the distance the object moves along the surface. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force of friction, and d is the distance.

3. What factors affect the work done by friction?

The work done by friction is affected by several factors, including the coefficient of friction, the weight of the object, and the nature of the surfaces in contact. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are, and a higher coefficient will result in more work done by friction.

4. How does the work done by friction affect the energy of a system?

The work done by friction results in the conversion of mechanical energy (such as kinetic energy) into thermal energy. This means that the energy of a system decreases as work is done by friction. This decrease in energy is known as energy dissipation.

5. Can the work done by friction ever be positive?

No, the work done by friction is always negative because it is a form of energy loss. This means that the amount of energy in a system will always decrease when work is done by friction.