1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 3: Images, Interference and Difraction

1. Mar 19, 2014 #1
    So three problems im stuck on.
    1.) You have a converging lens with n=1.5,for a symmetric lens so the two lens have same magnitude, what should the radius of curvature be so the focal length is 10cm. I know 1/f = (n-1)[1/r1-1/r2] so that is 1/0.10m =(1.5-1)[1/r1-1/r2] where im lost is in the r1 and r2. would r2 be -r1 so we get 2r?

2)A 3cm tall object is located 10cm in front of a converging lense with a focal length of 15cm. What is the magnification of the imaged formed? |m|= h'/h and m =-i/p h is 3cm and f=15cm and p=10cm which gives a i =-30cm so would the image m be 3cm? or am i missing something?

3.) The minimum width of a slit for single diffraction to produce an interference pattern is? no min, lamda, lambda/2, or 2 lamda. since its sin=lambda/a where a is the slit width as long as a>0 theres no limit?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1. both sides have the same radius - so there are only two possibilities.
    Try both and see which makes sense.

2. check by sketching the ray diagram

3. this one will depend on your course.
    strictly - there is no maximum, you are right. You also get diffraction for the limit of zero width.
    diffraction can occur around an edge - so the "slit width" there is infinite.
    however - your course may be talking about a specific kind of diffraction ... so check your notes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted