Physics 30 Matteri would apresiate some help on this question

• Thread starter cathoderay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the problem involves x-rays of a certain wavelength striking a free electron, causing it to rebound with a certain velocity. The scattered x-ray then strikes a metallic surface with a specific work function. The question is asking for the maximum velocity of an emitted photoelectron and the steps to solve it involve using equations such as Ek=hf-hf' and E=hc/λ. The final step involves using the formula E_k = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 for electron to calculate the maximum velocity.
cathoderay
[SOLVED] physics 30 ...Matter..i would apresiate some help on this question ..

hi this is a cuestion from physics 30 grde 12 ...i need some help figuring out how to solve it ...the provlem is as folow..
1. x-rays of wavelenght 5.0 x 10^-11m strike a free electron at rest. The free electron rebounds with a velocity of 2.0 x 10^6 m/s. The Scattered X-ray strikes a metallic surface whose work function is 5.2 x 10^-16J.

What is the maximum velocity of an emitted photoelectron?
a)2.0 x 10^6 m/s
b)8.7 x 10^7 m/s
c)4.3 x 10^4 m/s
d)5.4 x 10^5 m/s

3. this is what i have done but I am just confuse now ..im not sure if this is right:

Ek=hf-hf'
f'=w/h
=5.2 X 10^-16/6.63 x 10^-34
=7.85 x 10^17HZ

E=hc/λ
=(6.63 x 10^-34)(3.00 x 10^8)/5.0 x 10^-11m
=3.978 x 10^-15J

f=E/h
=3.978 x 10^-15/6.63 x 10^-34
=6 x 10^18HZ

Ek=hf-hf'
=(6.63 x 10^-34)(6 x 10^18) - (6.63 x 10^-34)( 7.85 x 10^17)
=3.46 x 10^-15J

v=Ek/q
=3.46 x 10^-15J/1.60 x 10^-19c
=2.2 X 10^4

there I am stuck I am not sure what else to do ..what formula was i supose to use..am i in the right way or not..? if there is someone that could help me solve this problem... it will be grate ..thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
cathoderay said:

v=Ek/q
=3.46 x 10^-15J/1.60 x 10^-19c
=2.2 X 10^4

what is this last step?

use [tex]E_k = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex] for electron is ok here as gamma (from relativity) is only about 1.

Thanks..

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass does not change with location, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

2. How does temperature affect the state of matter?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. As temperature increases, the particles gain more energy and move faster, causing solids to melt into liquids and liquids to evaporate into gases. As temperature decreases, particles lose energy and move slower, causing gases to condense into liquids and liquids to freeze into solids.

3. What is the difference between a physical and chemical change?

A physical change does not alter the chemical composition of a substance, while a chemical change does. In a physical change, the state or appearance of the substance may change, but the chemical structure remains the same. In a chemical change, new substances are formed with different chemical properties.

4. What is the law of conservation of mass?

The law of conservation of mass states that in a closed system, mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total mass of the reactants in a chemical reaction will be equal to the total mass of the products.

5. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is stored energy that an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, a ball at the top of a hill has potential energy, but as it rolls down the hill, it gains kinetic energy while losing potential energy.