1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics advices for a mathematics student

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    Hi, i'm Mexican and i study at IPN (Instituto Politécnico Nacional,National Polytechnic Institute), more specifically at ESFM (Escuela Superior de Física y Matemáticas, Superior School of Physics and Mathematics). I'd like you to recommend me a book in physics that assumes i know calculus, i already took differential, integral and multivariable calculus, besides I'm taking mathematical analysis. I don't want this to be the reason i get bored, 'cause it happened to me when i took a subject in economics, i just got too bored, they don't even assumed i knew derivatives!!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations :smile:

PD: advice * (title)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2
    Taylor, Classical Mechanics; Morin, Intro to Classical Mechanics; Griffiths, Intro to Electrodynamics, etc, etc, etc....

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    Good old classical mechanics is pretty interesting to learn before you get fancy about quantum mechanics etc., also it is a place you can get used to the way people do physics [i.e. hand-wave as necessary] while still be able to fill in the rigor yourself. I recommend a typical textbook for classical mechanics [perhaps Taylor's as mentioned above, or even Goldstein's] but complement it with Spivak's.

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the responses, i'll check out Taylor and Spivak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook