Physics advices for a mathematics student

• Thread starter valenluis
  • Start date
Hi, i'm Mexican and i study at IPN (Instituto Politécnico Nacional,National Polytechnic Institute), more specifically at ESFM (Escuela Superior de Física y Matemáticas, Superior School of Physics and Mathematics). I'd like you to recommend me a book in physics that assumes i know calculus, i already took differential, integral and multivariable calculus, besides I'm taking mathematical analysis. I don't want this to be the reason i get bored, 'cause it happened to me when i took a subject in economics, i just got too bored, they don't even assumed i knew derivatives!!

Thanks in advance for your recommendations :smile:

PD: advice * (title)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Taylor, Classical Mechanics; Morin, Intro to Classical Mechanics; Griffiths, Intro to Electrodynamics, etc, etc, etc....

Good old classical mechanics is pretty interesting to learn before you get fancy about quantum mechanics etc., also it is a place you can get used to the way people do physics [i.e. hand-wave as necessary] while still be able to fill in the rigor yourself. I recommend a typical textbook for classical mechanics [perhaps Taylor's as mentioned above, or even Goldstein's] but complement it with Spivak's.

Thanks for the responses, i'll check out Taylor and Spivak.