Physics and Applied Math Double Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the advantages of obtaining a double major in physics and applied math while also taking graduate courses in physics, compared to just pursuing a master's degree in physics. The speaker is seeking advice on which option would be more beneficial for their future studies in physics. They mention their interest in applied math and list potential math courses they would take as part of the double major. The response suggests that the decision should be based on the individual's specific interests and goals for graduate school, with the possibility that focusing on "useful" applied math courses could be more advantageous.
paulharrylemon
Hi all!
To keep this short(ish), if in the same time frame I could obtain a master's in physics, would it be better to instead get a double major in physics and applied math while taking 5+ graduate courses in physics? The more I think about how applied math interests me, and how useful I think it could be for physics, the more I want to do it. I fully plan on getting a PhD in physics after. Would it be a much greater advantage to have a masters than the double degree? Any advice is appreciated, my current adviser is a mech engineer and not the most helpful with such matters :/

Thanks!

Ive listed most of the additional math courses I would take if I did double major, if that helps with determining their usefulness!
Transitions to higher math
analysis 1 and 2
differential equations applications
numerical analysis 1 and 2
partial differential equations
abstract algebra

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that it really depends on what you want to study in graduate school. I would think the masters in physics with only the "useful" applied math classes such as numerical analysis and PDE's would be more beneficial. If you think the applied math classes will help you then by all means take those classes as electives. By double majoring in math you'll be taking intro proofs, analysis, and algebra which may or may not be beneficial to you. On the other hand, if you are very interested in those classes then go for it!

1. What is a Physics and Applied Math double major?

A double major in Physics and Applied Math is a course of study where a student pursues two separate majors in both Physics and Applied Mathematics. This allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the principles and applications of both subjects.

2. What career opportunities are available with a Physics and Applied Math double major?

With this double major, students can pursue a variety of careers in fields such as engineering, finance, data analysis, research, and teaching. This combination of skills can also be beneficial for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in either Physics or Applied Mathematics.

3. What are the benefits of majoring in both Physics and Applied Math?

The combination of these two majors allows students to develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly valued in many industries. It also provides a well-rounded education in both theoretical and practical aspects of physics and mathematics.

4. Is a double major in Physics and Applied Math difficult?

It can be challenging as it involves a rigorous and demanding curriculum. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is achievable. It is also important to seek support from professors and peers to succeed in this double major.

5. Can I pursue a double major in Physics and Applied Math with a different major?

Yes, it is possible to combine a double major in Physics and Applied Math with a different major, as long as the course requirements can be fulfilled. However, it may require careful planning and may take longer to complete compared to a single major.