1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics and Applied Math Double Major?

1. May 4, 2013 #1
    Hi all!
    To keep this short(ish), if in the same time frame I could obtain a master's in physics, would it be better to instead get a double major in physics and applied math while taking 5+ graduate courses in physics? The more I think about how applied math interests me, and how useful I think it could be for physics, the more I want to do it. I fully plan on getting a PhD in physics after. Would it be a much greater advantage to have a masters than the double degree? Any advice is appreciated, my current adviser is a mech engineer and not the most helpful with such matters :/

Thanks!

Ive listed most of the additional math courses I would take if I did double major, if that helps with determining their usefulness!
    Transitions to higher math
    analysis 1 and 2
    differential equations applications
    numerical analysis 1 and 2
    partial differential equations
    abstract algebra

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2013 #2
    I believe that it really depends on what you want to study in graduate school. I would think the masters in physics with only the "useful" applied math classes such as numerical analysis and PDE's would be more beneficial. If you think the applied math classes will help you then by all means take those classes as electives. By double majoring in math you'll be taking intro proofs, analysis, and algebra which may or may not be beneficial to you. On the other hand, if you are very interested in those classes then go for it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook