Physics and mathematical terms dealing with 1_

In summary, a band is seeking help with a new name that incorporates the symbol "1_" and has a mathematical or scientific theme. The symbol represents the lucky numbers of the two band members, 11 and 13. Suggestions for names include "onederline," "one triple three," "divide by one," and "MCXIII." There is also discussion about the name "Jimmy," which has some significance within the band. Ultimately, the band decides to stick with the ambiguity of the symbol.
MusicTheorist
Hey everyone,

This is a really strange question and I wasn't sure where to post it, but I need those who are well versed in physics and math to help with this. I recently started a new band and we came up with the symbol "1_" as our logo. We had a name, One Unknown, but we found out that it was already taken and now we need to change it. I think that a mathematical term could really work for a name and that's why I came here. I was thinking something like Open set, but I'd like to use something that uses One.

The story behind the symbol is that 11 and 13 are the lucky numbers of the two band members. We didn't want to use 11:13 becuase we thought the 13 might turn off some superstitious people, so we decided on 1_, the blank acting as a variable (either a 1 or a 3).

So, in short, sorry for wasting space on the forum with this question, but we'd really appreciate it if you could help us with a name!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Oh, and if you'd like to hear our music you can hear it here: "soundcloud.com/oneunknownmusic/ill-be-there-for-you"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not really much to do with physics or math but what about "onederline", which has a bit of wordplay on "wonderline"?

That's actually pretty good...I just wonder if that's the right image to go with. Sounds rather poppy...hmmmm

Thanks though, I'll definitely have to consider that.

In most of the operating systems, ? means anyone character.

So it could be "1?".

It won't be long before somebody will suggest that Jimmy is a nice name, but how about

"one triple three" ( 11 13) with a strong alliteration.

The thing with 1? is that it's not a name that's easy to pronounce. One Questionmark isn't very catchy, neither is One Underscore.

I'm not sure I get what you mean about Jimmy...

I think we're going to stay with the ambiguity though, it seems to be more interesting.

"Divide by One"
? :redface:

* is also a wildcard character in searches, though 1* "one star" also sounds rather poppy and has connotations of cheap hotels and poor service.

MusicTheorist said:
I'm not sure I get what you mean about Jimmy...

Maybe these few quotes help

Gokul43201 said:
For the name, I propose Årtun (also, Jimmy is a nice name).

Char. Limit said:
Very few memes actually spread far beyond the range of the forum that they originated in. For example, I doubt that many people outside of Physics Forums have ever thought about the phrase "Jimmy is a nice name"...

fuzzyfelt said:
I vote for rhody, too, although Jimmy is a nice name.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

Jimmy is a nice name.

One base none?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

The problem is that most people don't realize that it's pronounced with a silent 'r', and you have to roll the first 'm'. It can be mildly confusing to people for whom English is not their native language... and extremely confusing to those of us for which it is.

Andre said:
It won't be long before somebody will suggest that Jimmy is a nice name,

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

You see, now that's real science. Having a hypothesis and making a prediction. So when the prediction is correct then you move up to the status of theory.

So, the best scientific theoretical name is Jimmy.

MCXIII (1113 in Roman numerals - that's what a google search on 1113 showed)

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

Weird coincidence, but the song "Jimmy" by Tool (one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands, BTW) is full of "1" and "11" references (like the thread starter wanted).

See for yourself: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/2504/

Eleven and she was gone.
Eleven is when we waved good-bye.
Eleven is standing still,

One,
And one are one,
Eleven.

...etc.

1. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities are those that have only magnitude, such as distance or mass. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force.

2. What is the formula for calculating velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (displacement) by the change in time. This can be expressed as v = ∆x/∆t, where v is velocity, ∆x is change in position, and ∆t is change in time.

3. How is acceleration defined in terms of velocity and time?

Acceleration is the rate of change in velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (∆v) by the change in time (∆t), expressed as a = ∆v/∆t.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on that mass. Mass is measured in kilograms (kg), while weight is measured in newtons (N).

5. How does the Law of Conservation of Energy apply to physics?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This applies to all physical systems and is a fundamental principle in physics.