Quantum Physics in Biology & Medicine: Research & Advances

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum physics in biology and its impact on the medical field. NMR, which is based on quantum physics, has greatly advanced medical practices. The internet and modern technology are also products of quantum physics research. Additionally, there are physiological processes in biology that are influenced by quantum mechanics, such as coherent energy transfer in photosynthesis. Three books on quantum biology are mentioned as further resources. The conversation also touches on the phenomenon of bird navigation as a result of quantum processes. However, there is some dispute and controversy surrounding the interpretations of quantum mechanics in biology. Overall, there is ongoing research and evidence showing the influence of quantum physics in biological processes.
nnope
Is there any research being conducted on how quantum physics can be used in biology? Has quantum physics, in any anyway, helped in the advancement of the medical field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say NMR (aka IMR) is a great progress for the medical practice, and it's based on quantum physics, as is most of the modern technology, particularly this computer I'm typing this right now and the internet, which is a spin-off by CERN due to the necessity to exchange information in an efficient way, to share it with you.

Likes bhobba
Add to my questions, are there any physiological processes that take place due to processes we observe in quantum mechanics?

Likes dwunder
Coherent energy transfer in photosynthesis, a key process in biology, seems to be a completely quantum mechanical phenomenon, not explainable by classical physics.

Three important books on quantum biology, which give loads more:
Schrodinger E, 1942. What is Life?
Abbott D et al, 2008. Quantum Aspects of Life
Khalili J et al, 2014. Life on the Edge

Likes dwunder
nnope said:
Add to my questions, are there any physiological processes that take place due to processes we observe in quantum mechanics?

Well there is the interesting phenomena of bird navigation.
http://hore.chem.ox.ac.uk/PDFs/The_Quantum_Robin.pdf

When I first heard of it I thought - pop-sci - how to put it nicely - half truth. But a little research showed it was legit.

Strange - but it seems to be true.

Thanks
Bill

Likes dwunder
nnope said:
It has, on rare occasions, led to episodes of very minor tachyarrhythmia in posters on internet forums... due

to the disputatious nature of interpretations... :-p

Likes DrChinese, vanhees71 and jtbell
OCR said:
It has, on rare occasions, led to episodes of very minor tachyarrhythmia in posters on internet forums... due

to the disputatious nature of interpretations... :-p
"Rare"? "Minor"? You're not seeing the stuff the mentors take down before anyone sees it...

Likes dlgoff
Nugatory said:
"Rare"? "Minor"? You're not seeing the stuff the mentors take down before anyone sees it...
Lol... :ok:

I don't think I need any interpretations to understand that... . :wink:

1. What is quantum physics and how does it relate to biology and medicine?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. In recent years, it has been applied to the fields of biology and medicine in order to better understand biological processes and develop new medical technologies.

2. How has quantum physics contributed to our understanding of biological systems?

Quantum physics has helped scientists understand how biological systems, such as photosynthesis and DNA replication, work at a molecular level. It has also shed light on the role of quantum mechanics in biological processes, such as enzyme reactions and protein folding.

3. What are some current research areas in quantum physics and biology/medicine?

Some current research areas include exploring the role of quantum coherence in photosynthesis, using quantum entanglement to enhance magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), and developing quantum sensors for medical diagnostics.

4. How is quantum physics being applied in medicine?

Quantum physics is being applied in medicine in a variety of ways, including developing new imaging techniques for early cancer detection, using quantum dots as drug delivery systems, and developing quantum computing algorithms for medical data analysis.

5. What are the potential benefits and challenges of incorporating quantum physics into biology and medicine?

The potential benefits include a deeper understanding of biological processes, more accurate and efficient medical diagnostics, and the development of new treatments for diseases. However, challenges include the complexity of applying quantum physics to biological systems and the need for further research and investment in this field.