Physics as a dream ? Need courage * advice

• Thread starter magorium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physicist has two ambitions: one is to have a successful career in physics, and the other is to understand the universe. He is prepared for the fact that as he learns more, his understanding of the universe will decrease. Additionally, other people have ambitions similar to his own: to understand the universe and to have a successful career.
magorium
First of all , I'm glad I found this forum while searching the mathematics of string theory.

I want to directly tell you my problem. Well ; I have two ambitions in my life and one is Theoretical Physics. It is a bit more like a passion. In my country , high school education divides into three courses. Literature - Middle (half literature half math) and Science (Full science). I am graduated from science course (4 years). Now , actually having a great will to work on Physics , my second ambition as having a Military career is on way. I am a cadet (Military Student - Land forces). But I am educating as a Mechanical Engineer (having all courses universities have as Mechanical engineering). When I graduate I'll have also Mech. Eng. diploma.

Enough storyline :) Here is the question. I have lots of time. My school is 4 years like all universities. And while this 4 years education , I want to educate my self just like a Physics student do. I'll have the all courses they had for their University education. I "do not" care about having a Physics degree officially. Did Fermat had a Mathematics PhD? I give no care for being a Professor a day or not. Only I care is understanding the universe. This is my humanitarian responsibilty to. If I can make a real contribute to our understanding about universe that'll be my great honor and pleasure. I am going to buy all the books they buy. Learn all the lessons they do. If I can't understand something , I'll ask here or go to a University for it. Why I write this ? Well , sometimes I do need some courage. That might look really hard to achieve but when looking from the both sides ;

Deterministic : If I meant to success , I will success.
Possiblistic : If the Universe is a possiblity universe , then success is a possiblity. If it is , It'll worth trying.

I can understand Physics by reading mostly. And as Einstein said ; I have to do If I can do it. I have to do it as best as I can. This is my sacred human responsibilty. Less is unforgivable.

Physics news on Phys.org
magorium said:
Only I care is understanding the universe. This is my humanitarian responsibilty to.

1) One thing that you should be prepared for is that as you know more, the amount of understanding you have about the universe will become less and less. I've given up trying to understand everything about universe, and right now I'm lucky if I understand *anything* about the universe.

2) Physicists aren't the only people that try to understand the universe. Cooks and janitors understand parts of the universe. One thing that I figured out yesterday was that it's a bad idea to create an egg sandwich with a bagel and an egg sunny-side up, and that if I want that I need to scramble the egg. That's a tiny bit of understanding about the universe that I didn't have the day before.

Haha, twofish-quant, your posts are really helpful, but you really do get stuck on that wanting to understand the universe part ;)

1. What is the concept of "Physics as a dream"?

The concept of "Physics as a dream" refers to the idea that the laws and principles of physics that govern our universe may actually be a product of our imagination or a construct of our minds. In other words, the physical world we perceive may be a dream or illusion.

2. How is courage related to understanding the concept of "Physics as a dream"?

In order to fully explore and understand the concept of "Physics as a dream", one must have the courage to question and challenge our current understanding of the universe. It takes courage to challenge long-held beliefs and to explore new ideas and theories.

3. What advice do you have for someone trying to grasp the concept of "Physics as a dream"?

My advice would be to keep an open mind and to approach the concept with curiosity and a willingness to learn. It can be a challenging and complex idea, so don't be discouraged if you don't fully understand it at first. Reading and discussing with others can also help in gaining a better understanding.

4. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of "Physics as a dream"?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the concept of "Physics as a dream" as it is mainly a philosophical idea. However, some theories in quantum physics and neuroscience have raised questions about the nature of reality and consciousness, which could potentially support this concept.

5. How does considering "Physics as a dream" impact our understanding of the universe?

Considering "Physics as a dream" can challenge our traditional understanding of the universe and open up new possibilities for exploring the mysteries of our existence. It can also lead to a deeper understanding of the relationship between consciousness and the physical world, and potentially lead to new scientific discoveries and breakthroughs.