1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics BS with a Math Minor. Second Minor?

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    Hey people,

I have 4 quarters left to finish my physics undergrad degree. I am planning on applying to a graduate program, probably just for a Master's. The thing is I'm not exactly sure what I want to do once I go "into the real world." I've decided on a Master's to at least have a foot up if I go into an industry related job. However, I was reading some other posts in this forum and from what it sounds like I'd be in better shape if I had a "marketable" skill like engineering or computer science. I'm taking an Analysis class this summer that will finalize me having a Minor in Math but I was also thinking about attempting a Comp. Sci. minor as well to have something that people could see as useful. What are some of your opinions on this? ...or did I shoot myself in the foot for getting a physics degree as opposed to an Engineering or Comp. Sci.?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2012 #2

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Just to clarify, what are you applying for a Masters degree in? Knowing this will affect any recommendation I can provide on whether a second minor would be useful.

For example, if you were planning on pursuing a Master's degree in computer science or applied math (especially if you intend to focus on, say, numerical analysis or scientific computing), then a second minor in computer science could be quite useful.

Otherwise, if you are simply looking at applying for work in programming, software or IT jobs, a minor in computer science wouldn't hurt you, but it may not be all that helpful -- it may be more beneficial for you to study programming on your own (or take a few introductory or intermediate level programming courses), and develop a portfolio of personal projects you have developed which you can provide to a prospective employer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook