Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics cannot be based on the field concept

1. Dec 24, 2005 #1
    Can someone clarify the following quote?

I consider it quite possible that physics cannot be based on the field concept, i.e., on continuous structures. In that case, nothing remains of my entire castle in the air, gravitation theory included, [and of] the rest of modern physics. (Albert Einstein, 1954)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2005 #2

Mk

Looks like some guy named Albert Einstein said it around 1954 to me.

4. Dec 24, 2005 #3
    How immature?

5. Dec 24, 2005 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Einstein simply meant that all scientific theories (his own included) should be regarded as tentative since new knowledge (data) may one day show them to be in error.

6. Dec 25, 2005 #5

Mk

Well jeez... someone's a grumpy poopoo head.

7. Dec 26, 2005 #6
    I'm going to guess this is an expression of disapointment at not having arrived at a Unified Field Theory. He may have been simply acknowledging that this failure was due to the possibility that the very concept of fields was not going to lend itself to analysis the way he wanted.

If we had the whole context, of course, what he meant would probably be clear. Disembodied quotes can be mysterious and easily misconstrued.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?