Physics + CE masters versus CE undergrad

In summary, the individual is considering returning to a tech company, specifically RIM, with a degree in physics and computer engineering. They are concerned about the competitiveness of their position compared to undergrad engineers and the possibility of needing to take additional courses. They also inquire about research opportunities in companies like Intel and AMD for those with physics PhDs. It is noted that while these positions may be difficult to attain, the job outlook for a master's in CE is better than a PhD in physics. Some universities may allow individuals to enter a master's program with missing prerequisites if they have a strong background in related areas such as EM theory and electronics.
cscott
How do these two compare to a tech (Apple, ARM, RIM, Asustek, etc) company? I ask this because I lost interest in doing computer engineering however working at RIM for coop has sparked my interest again. Where would I fit coming back to this company with a physics+CE masters? Would the engineer undergrads get snapped up long before me? It seems like a masters can't fully full the void between physics and computer engineering.

Do most of these companies have (large) research groups that would welcome materials-like research for, say, chips or HDDs?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
cscott said:
How do these two compare to a tech (Apple, ARM, RIM, Asustek, etc) company? I ask this because I lost interest in doing computer engineering however working at RIM for coop has sparked my interest again. Where would I fit coming back to this company with a physics+CE masters? Would the engineer undergrads get snapped up long before me? It seems like a masters can't fully full the void between physics and computer engineering.

Do most of these companies have (large) research groups that would welcome materials-like research for, say, chips or HDDs?

Thanks.

A masters would be better than an undergrad, nonetheless. An undergrad CE would take the job over a masters CE if he has more experience. An employer should know that graduate level CE courses are more in-depth and have more value than undergrad CE courses. The first 2 years you spend at universities are general ed classes that have nothing to do with your major coursework.

I have always thought that your bachelor's degree becomes almost negligible when you have your masters.

I agree with fizziks, the only issue your going to run up against is if you have a Comp Eng undergrad who is going to get his Masters (which like 90% of Comp Eng) are probably doing because places like intel/amd/whoever won't let you touch hardware design unless you have a minimum of a masters. They will most likely pick the comp eng under with a masters in ce over a physics under with a masters in CE. But you can still find a job I'm sure.

Thanks. Your comments have been helpful.

I guess my biggest issue is only being in second year and I don't quite know exactly what I want to do, just a few general areas.

Do intel/amd/etc have research labs with physics PhD's? If so, what kind of research is done?

I guess my worst fear is definitely wanting to make the switch to engineering and having to make up first year courses.

One last question: If you feel you're under prepared for masters-level courses do places often let you take a term of undergrad courses or should this be done at the end of your undergrad degree, before even applying for a masters? Here I'm talking about someone changing their field 'slightly', i.e. physics undergrad then CE masters or engineering then physics PhD...

I do know an engineer going for his PhD in physics... he was the TA for one of my first year labs.

Last edited:
Yes they have labs with physics PhDs. Even IBM. R&D is needed, especially when you're working on the next generation technology. It will be highly competitive though.

cscott said:
Thanks. Your comments have been helpful.

I guess my biggest issue is only being in second year and I don't quite know exactly what I want to do, just a few general areas.

Do intel/amd/etc have research labs with physics PhD's? If so, what kind of research is done?

I guess my worst fear is definitely wanted to make the switch to engineering and having to make up first year courses.

One last question: If you feel you're under prepared for masters-level courses do places often let you take a term of undergrad courses or should this be done at the end of your undergrad degree, before even applying for a masters?

They do have physicists with PhDs in their labs for research and development. But they're not very easy to get nor is a PhD in physics. But the job outlook seems to be much better for a Masters in CE than a PhD physicist. In the long run, you have to look at the bills :frown:. I'm starting to realize that since I'm off to my own now. You got to work no matter what to self-sustain yourself.

I got into the CE masters program at a local state school here, even though I was a physics major with little CE background. ATM, I'm taking enrolled as a non-degree student taking the important pre-reqs for a CE (mainly computer architecture, software engineering, and microprocessors). Some schools will let you in with the exception that you taken certain pre-reqs.

I think if I went to UWaterloo for my Masters (I'm doing my undergrad physics here, at UW) they'd let me in with little missing prereqs so long as I stress my physics degree in EM theory, electronics and communications where I can.

I still love the physics courses :)

1. What is the main difference between a Physics + CE masters and a CE undergrad degree?

A Physics + CE masters degree combines advanced coursework in both physics and computer engineering, while a CE undergrad degree focuses primarily on computer engineering with some basic physics courses. In other words, a masters degree provides a more in-depth understanding of both fields.

2. Which degree would be more beneficial for a career in research and development?

A Physics + CE masters degree would be more beneficial for a career in research and development as it provides a stronger foundation in both physics and computer engineering, allowing for a more interdisciplinary approach to problem-solving.

3. Can a CE undergrad student continue on to a Physics + CE masters program?

Yes, it is possible for a CE undergrad student to continue on to a Physics + CE masters program. However, they may need to take additional physics courses to meet the prerequisites for the program.

4. Is there a significant difference in job opportunities between the two degrees?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of job opportunities, but a Physics + CE masters degree may open up more specialized and higher-level positions due to its broader and more advanced curriculum.

5. Are there any specific industries or fields where one degree would be preferred over the other?

Both degrees are valuable in a variety of industries, but a CE undergrad degree may be more suited for careers in software engineering, while a Physics + CE masters degree may be more beneficial for roles in fields such as robotics, quantum computing, or physics-based computer simulations.