1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics/Computer Science Double Major?

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
    I'm currently beginning my senior year in high school and I have been struggling for the last year or so to figure out what I want to do in college. I find a lot of things interesting, and so it's hard for me to pinpoint a single area of study in STEM that I would want to pursue. After a lot of thought I have tentatively decided on considering a double major in physics and computer science, but I don't know how practical or successful that combination would be. I am pretty strong in math(single/multivariable calculus, DEs and starting linear algebra) and I have an okay basis in programming, so I think I will be competent enough for both majors. Would that be a practical combination of majors for success after college?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Sure.

The main issue with choosing a double major is that you're giving up freedom to take other non-major courses, or extending the time it takes to complete your degree.

Computer science and physics can complement each other very well.

4. Aug 31, 2015 #3
    Thanks. Is there a practical downside to not being able to take non-major courses, or is it simply a case of not being able to pursue some minor interests?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook