Physics degree - careers that involve programming?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for someone with a physics degree who is interested in working in the IT industry. It is suggested that taking computer science and programming courses, doing research projects, internships, and self-study can help gain the required programming knowledge. The possibility of majoring in IT or a related field is also mentioned, but the individual expresses a desire to study physics for personal fulfillment. The individual's dream is to work in a big company and develop technological innovations.
The Eraser
What are the chances of working in IT if you have a physics degree??

How much do you have to work individually in order to gain the required programming knowledge??

Are there relevant courses you can take as a physics undergrad?? Do you learn any programming language that is relevant to the IT industry at university if you study physics??

I think I'm more interested in programming that involves technology (like robots or various devices that involve both computer science and physics) rather than making websites or what "regular" programmers do.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Eraser said:
Are there relevant courses you can take as a physics undergrad?? Do you learn any programming language that is relevant to the IT industry at university if you study physics??

Depends on which courses you take. If you are in the US, you have a huge liberty in which courses you take. So you could take several computer science and programming courses. This will help you. You could also try to do undergrad research in a computational project, where they expect you to program physical models. This will help. Doing an internship where you do programming will help you. Self-study and doing some project for yourself (where you e.g. try to make programs of physics stuff you saw in courses) will help.

It's up to you really. You can end up with a bachelor in physics with minimal programming abilities, or with quite a lot of programming abilities.

Likes Student100
The Eraser said:

How much do you have to work individually in order to gain the required programming knowledge??

I think I'm more interested in programming that involves technology (like robots or various devices that involve both computer science and physics) rather than making websites or what "regular" programmers do.

Is there a reason why you don't take the most obvious and direct route and just major in IT?

Zz.

Likes Student100
The Eraser said:

I'm confused by this whole post, IT is more akin to networking than programming (at least what I'm familiar with, I could be wrong), IT skills would be more in the realm of CCNA and Security + certs, etc.

It sounds like you want to be a programmer, not an IT or physicist. CS, software engineering, or maybe even EE or EP would be a logical major for you to do the above (The last two if you're also interested in robotics as well as programming). Like Micromass has said though, you can pick up these skills while majoring in physics (or anything really) and then sell yourself as a programmer to some entry level position. Although the more direct route would be to major in one of the above applied sciences.

Student100 said:
IT is more akin to networking than programming (at least what I'm familiar with, I could be wrong), IT skills would be more in the realm of CCNA and Security + certs, etc.

I suspect the OP is in a country where everything computer-related is lumped together under a very broad term which is sometimes translated as "informatics", and here he tries to translate it as "IT" ("information technology"). But that term usually has a more restricted meaning in the US, as you note. I'd also include business-related programming (databases, etc.) under "IT".

Likes Student100
jtbell said:
I suspect the OP is in a country where everything computer-related is lumped together under a very broad term which is sometimes translated as "informatics", and here he tries to translate it as "IT" ("information technology"). But that term usually has a more restricted meaning in the US, as you note. I'd also include business-related programming (databases, etc.) under "IT".
Yes. I was talking about "informatics", computer science. That's what I meant by IT.

Also I'm going to study in the UK.

ZapperZ said:
Is there a reason why you don't take the most obvious and direct route and just major in IT?

Zz.
Student100 said:
I'm confused by this whole post, IT is more akin to networking than programming (at least what I'm familiar with, I could be wrong), IT skills would be more in the realm of CCNA and Security + certs, etc.

It sounds like you want to be a programmer, not an IT or physicist. CS, software engineering, or maybe even EE or EP would be a logical major for you to do the above (The last two if you're also interested in robotics as well as programming). Like Micromass has said though, you can pick up these skills while majoring in physics (or anything really) and then sell yourself as a programmer to some entry level position. Although the more direct route would be to major in one of the above applied sciences.

I know it's not really a "practical" reason, but I really feel that studying physics will be more fullfiling in the long run. I mean, when I get older I won't have the time or the mental capacity to understand such a deep subject. I won't regret it if I will have to learn by myself some programming that I couldn't learn at university, but if I study Computer Science I will have many holes in my way of understanding the laws of nature, and I don't want this.

My dream is to work at a big company and develop "tech stuff". Like working at Amazon and building/designing those drones or something like that. I don't think I would like being a researcher or a teacher, maybe it's not for me anyway.

1. What job opportunities are available for someone with a Physics degree and programming skills?

There are a variety of job opportunities for individuals with a Physics degree and programming skills. Some common careers include software engineer, data scientist, computational physicist, and research scientist. These roles often involve using programming languages to analyze and solve complex problems in fields such as engineering, finance, and technology.

2. How can programming skills enhance a Physics degree?

Programming skills can enhance a Physics degree by allowing individuals to apply their knowledge and problem-solving abilities to real-world situations. With programming skills, a Physics graduate can develop tools and simulations to better understand complex physical phenomena, analyze large datasets, and create models to predict outcomes.

3. What programming languages should a Physics student learn for potential careers?

Some commonly used programming languages in Physics-related careers include Python, MATLAB, C++, and Java. However, the specific language(s) to learn will depend on the desired career path. It is beneficial to gain proficiency in multiple languages to have a well-rounded skillset.

4. Can a Physics degree with programming skills lead to a career in the tech industry?

Yes, a Physics degree with programming skills can lead to a career in the tech industry. Many companies in the tech industry value individuals with a strong foundation in math and problem-solving, making Physics graduates with programming skills highly sought after. Additionally, with the growing demand for data-driven decision-making, individuals with a Physics background and programming skills are essential for roles such as data analysts and machine learning engineers.

5. Are there any specific industries that value a Physics degree with programming skills?

Industries that heavily rely on data analysis, modeling, and simulation often highly value individuals with a Physics degree and programming skills. This includes industries such as finance, aerospace, energy, and technology. However, the skills gained from a Physics degree and programming can be applied to various industries, making it a versatile degree for career opportunities.