Physics essays heavy in math, bad or hard?

In summary, the authors of the study found that physics essays containing more math tend to have fewer citations. This is similar to the issue in philosophy, where essays with heavy use of logic are also cited less often. However, in philosophy, this may be because the essays are poorly written and use logical fallacies like begging the question. In contrast, essays in physics with lots of math, such as the paper by N. Arkani-Hamed et al., tend to have a lot of citations and publicity. This could be due to a variety of factors, such as the nature of the topic or the experimental/ theoretical nature of the paper. Additionally, citation counts do not always reflect the importance of a paper, as some papers may settle an
gamow99
In this article,
http://phys.org/news/2016-11-physicists-mathematics.html
the authors did a study of 2000 physics essays and found that those containing more math were cited less often. We have this problem in philosophy. Essays which are heavy in logic are cited less often. But in philosophy the essays heavy in logic are rightly ignored because they are so bad. What happens is that logician just translates their ideas into a barely comprehensible language, then they start begging the question. When an essay in philosophy begs the question in plain English then you at least know what the author is talking about. I'm wondering if essays in Physics which are heavy in math are rightly ignored or is it because the community of physicists do not want to work hard.

Likes pseudochaos
Physics news on Phys.org
"To beg the question" is a logical fallacy where a statement is assumed to be true without evidence.

It does not mean to ask or raise a question. I wonder if this is what you meant?

Yes, that's what I mean. Sometimes 'beg the question' is synonymous with the fallacy of petitio principii which is what you quoted, other times (I would say 10% of the time) it is synonymous with proving something by placing the conclusion in one of the premises.

But this is highly misleading. All I can see here is that there is a a correlation. And as scientists, these people should know better than to confuse such correlation with causation!

For example, the paper by N. Arkani-Hamed et al. Phys. Lett. B 429, 263 (1998) has lots of math. Yet, it is has TONS of citations, not to mention, lots of publicity. What happened there?

Maybe papers with lots of mathematics tend to generally be theoretical papers, and they tend to not have huge number of citations, at least in the beginning. Or maybe many of these are in more esoteric areas of physics in which the number of physicists involved in these areas are smaller than others, so citation frequencies are lower in general.

There are numerous possible "causation" for this. Simply equating the cause to math-phobia, as the article implied, is completely misleading.

Zz.

Likes Dale
First, I don't understand why this is coming out now when Fawcett and Higgenson have been doing this for years. (Actually, I do - it makes for great clickbait)

Second, the same criticism gets tossed at Fawcett and Higgenson again and again. By looking only at journals with severe space restrictions, they are a) looking at a small and biased sample, b) the citation counts depend on many factors, and if the authors don't want to do a principal component analysis they can't even begin to say what causes what. Additionally, it's not clear to me that the article is the thing you want to count - shouldn't it be the citation? Finally, as Zz alludes to, some of the most cited papers are experimental (and a PCA would tease this out). The Higgs discovery papers have 6000-7000 cites. Maldecena's ADS/CFT paper has 10,000 (this is the most cited HEP theory paper), but it's also 17 years old - it has about half as many cites as the Higgs papers since they came out.

And, as a PS, while citations are correlated with importance, it's not a perfect correlation. I wrote a paper once that reported a measurement that definitively settled an issue. It didn't get many cites, because once the issue was settled, people stopped working on it.

Likes Dale
Vanadium 50 said:
It didn't get many cites, because once the issue was settled, people stopped working on it.
doh.gif

1. Why are physics essays heavy in math?

Physics is a highly mathematical subject that describes the fundamental laws and principles of the physical world. In order to accurately analyze and solve complex problems, mathematical equations and formulas are necessary. Therefore, physics essays often require a lot of math to properly explain and support the concepts being discussed.

2. Are physics essays bad if they have a lot of math?

No, physics essays heavy in math are not necessarily bad. In fact, they are often considered to be more precise and accurate. The use of math helps to provide concrete evidence and logical reasoning to support the claims being made in the essay.

3. Are physics essays with a lot of math hard to understand?

This depends on the reader's level of understanding of math and physics. For those with a strong foundation in math and physics, these essays may be easier to comprehend. However, for those with less background knowledge, they may be more challenging to understand. It is important to have a basic understanding of math and physics in order to fully grasp the concepts presented in these essays.

4. Can I still write a good physics essay if I'm not good at math?

Yes, you can still write a good physics essay even if you are not strong in math. While math is an important aspect of physics, it is not the only factor that determines the quality of an essay. As long as you have a strong understanding of the concepts being discussed and can effectively communicate your ideas, your essay can still be well-written.

5. How can I improve my understanding of math-heavy physics essays?

One way to improve your understanding of these essays is to practice solving math problems and equations related to the concepts being discussed. This will help you become more comfortable with using math in a physics context. Additionally, seeking guidance from a tutor or mentor can also be beneficial in improving your understanding of these essays.