Physics for Newbies: Getting Started with Force, Work, PE, KE, Power

• Thread starter SimpleHarmonicMotion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is new to physics and is looking for resources to learn more about force, work, PE, KE, and power. They ask for recommendations for tutorials that are simple and not too complicated. Another person suggests getting a physics textbook and reading it cover to cover, specifically recommending "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. They also suggest going to the library and trying out experiments from the book.
SimpleHarmonicMotion
I'm a newbie to phyics, all i know is force, work, PE, KE, power,and such, where should i go from here, and are there any good thorough tutorials and such that build off of this that r simple and not complicated?

Physics news on Phys.org
I might be able to help you better if you said what your educational background is. Have you taken just one physics course? Usually knowing one thing points you in the dsirection of another.

well, i kind of took 1/4 of physics course i guess u could say

Do you have a physics textbook? Just go through that.

Get a copy of Halliday and Resnick's "Fundamentals of Physics" and read it, cover to cover. It's very easy to read, and you'll learn about a year's worth of university-level physics.

- Warren

go to the library...get a book ...learn and enjoy ...and try out experiments it says in the book aswelll.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes an interaction between two objects. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be described as a push or pull on an object.

2. What is work?

Work is a measure of the energy transfer that occurs when a force is applied over a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which it is applied. The unit for work is Joules (J).

3. What is potential energy (PE)?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In the context of physics, it is often referred to as the energy stored in an object. The unit for potential energy is Joules (J).

4. What is kinetic energy (KE)?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its velocity squared and is measured in Joules (J).

5. What is power?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is measured in Watts (W) and is calculated by dividing the work done by the time it takes to do it.