Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread

In summary: I have a lot of respect for top rated chess players. There's something about "visual calculation" that is so unique. A lot of people...In summary, some members are interested in starting a chess club, but they need a pgn interpreter to do so. The last championship didn't have a lot of resonance on the forum, but the club could still be established.
kyphysics
Are any members interested in a chess club/thread?

It could involve both play and intellectual/"nerdy" chat and analysis.

Likes fresh_42
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but we don't have a pgn interpreter, which would be nice. And the resonance during the last championship wasn't overwhelming on PF.

Happy to lose at chess in exchange for feedback on why I suck. :wink:

Slightly less dramatically, I played against my schoolmates years ago. Recently I started to play again, against my phone. Interested in playing against someone whose chess skills aren't either those of a twelve year old or expressible simply in C++.

Ibix said:
Happy to lose at chess in exchange for feedback on why I suck. :wink:

Slightly less dramatically, I played against my schoolmates years ago. Recently I started to play again, against my phone. Interested in playing against someone whose chess skills aren't either those of a twelve year old or expressible simply in C++.

Hey, it might depend on which 12-year old you're talking about. ;)

Some super prodigies out there!

I massively suck. I'm 1300's. But I play for fun, relaxation, and because I have medical issues that prevent me from doing physical sports anymore.

fresh_42 said:
Yes, but we don't have a pgn interpreter, which would be nice. And the resonance during the last championship wasn't overwhelming on PF.
Actually, you could use Chess.com and set up a club there. You could have a thread HERE, but have the club and games there. They have a forum on Chess.com obviously and a thread could be made there too where PGN could be translated for game analysis. :)

When do the games get played here?

We used to have a chess forum or a forum where chess games were played regularly. But my memory is hazy on that -- paging @Greg Bernhardt to help me recollect...

I'd certainly participate in any PF chess event. I'm a bit above 2000 FIDE but don't get to play tournaments so often anymore.

Likes berkeman
kyphysics said:
When do the games get played here?
What do you mean? I only remember that I mentioned standings or game details in some thread and nobody actually replied. It would be nice to follow such events as championships live and discuss them. Not to mention that I usually have questions of the kind: "Why did he not simply ...?" when I replay the games. Some possible tracks are left out even in their commented versions.

Infrared said:
I'd certainly participate in any PF chess event. I'm a bit above 2000 FIDE but don't get to play tournaments so often anymore.

You'd like bully us, Infrared!

• Haha
Likes fresh_42 and Infrared
fresh_42 said:
What do you mean? I only remember that I mentioned standings or game details in some thread and nobody actually replied. It would be nice to follow such events as championships live and discuss them. Not to mention that I usually have questions of the kind: "Why did he not simply ...?" when I replay the games. Some possible tracks are left out even in their commented versions.
sorry - that you meant there were game here previously...I see what you mean now.

berkeman said:
We used to have a chess forum or a forum where chess games were played regularly. But my memory is hazy on that -- paging @Greg Bernhardt to help me recollect...
We did! But that was an addon from maybe 10 years ago.

Greg Bernhardt said:
We did! But that was an addon from maybe 10 years ago.
10 years ago? haha

What happened? Loss of interest afterwards? Any recent attempts to revive it?

fresh_42 said:
Nowadays you can readily find definitive answers to such questions using chess engines. The open source champion engine, Stockfish, defeats all human players, and its analysis is available online at http://chess.com/analysis. If you go to http://chess.com/forum/category/daily-puzzles and complete a puzzle, the lightbulb hint icon will change to a chessboard icon, and that will take you to Stockfish analysis for that puzzle. You can also download Stockfish from http://stockfishchess.org.

Likes fresh_42
kyphysics said:
What happened? Loss of interest afterwards? Any recent attempts to revive it?
Yeah I think it was loss of interest. It was going pretty good for a year or so. No plans to return it.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Yeah I think it was loss of interest.
... and ...
Infrared said:
I'm a bit above 2000 FIDE but don't get to play tournaments so often anymore.
... is a bit frightening, too. :smile:

• Haha
Likes Infrared
fresh_42 said:
... and ...

... is a bit frightening, too. :smile:
bahahahahahahahahahaha.

I have a lot of respect for top rated chess players. There's something about "visual calculation" that is so unique. A lot of people have great memories and can do conceptual calculation or even certain types of mathematics in their head. But, these same people cannot always apply the same skills to chess.

It's a unique type of calculation. Fixed by the pieces and allowable moves on the chess board. And it's completely visual. You can have the greatest verbal memory, say, in the world and it won't do anything for you in chess. You need to be able to visually see everything on the board AND mentally rearrange those pieces in your head.

On top of that, you got to do it in a strategically logical and effective way to win!

Just being able to have those visual calculation skills alone won't win. You need that along with strategy skills.

Much respect to those who can do it.

Likes fresh_42
Historical chess anecdote: While growing up in Silicon Valley, many neighbors and teachers played chess via postcards with occasional phone calls or letters to settle disputes prior to personal computers and networks.

I learned table position codes, how pieces moved and read a few books on strategy but oddly enough did not play chess. A thread emphasizing chess data structures and adaptive strategies might be interesting.

Likes berkeman
My favorite anecdote is this one:

In 1851 Anderssen won a tournament in London which some consider the first unofficial world championship because all good players at the time participated. In these days people had to travel by stagecoach and it was a long journey back to Wroclaw (Breslau). To change horses they took overnight stays at post stations. Of course the coachman knew all the stations and their hosts, so the two sat down to play a bit chess. Tv wasn't invented, yet. Anderssen watched them and on the question whether he also plays, he replied with a no. If he wanted to learn it? Anderssen agreed and he grasped the rules astonishing fast. So Anderssen and the coachman sat down for their first match. Anderssen lost. They played a second and a third. Anderssen lost. The coachman took his queen off the board. Anderssen lost another two matches, even with an additional queen. Finally the coachman lost interest, but Anderssen insisted: "Look! You have taught me to watch out especially for the queen and the king. Now you have only the king you have to keep an eye on, whereas I have to watch both figures. Let us change this. You will have to watch out for queen and king, and I will play without the queen." The postman smiled and refused to play, but Anderssen was stubborn and insisted to play.

The rest is clear. Anderssen washed the coachman off the board. Unfortunately, the anecdote didn't report how long it took the coachman to recover from the shock.

Last edited:
Likes strangerep, Wrichik Basu and Infrared
Feynman uses a chess rules analogy to illustrate some generalities about Physics inquiry:

Likes fresh_42

1. What is the purpose of the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread?

The purpose of the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread is to provide a space for members of the Physics Forums community who are interested in playing and discussing chess to come together and connect. It is a place for friendly competition, learning, and sharing knowledge and strategies related to the game of chess.

2. How can I join the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread?

To join the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread, you must be a member of the Physics Forums community. If you are not already a member, you can create an account for free on the Physics Forums website. Once you have an account, you can join the chess club by clicking on the "Join Club" button on the club's page.

3. Is there a certain skill level required to participate in the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread?

No, there is no specific skill level required to participate in the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread. We welcome players of all levels, from beginners to experts. The club is a place for players to improve their skills and learn from others, so all are encouraged to join and participate.

4. How are games organized in the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread?

The Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread uses the Chess.com platform to organize and play games. Members can create and join tournaments, challenges, and matches with other members of the club on Chess.com. The club also has a dedicated thread where members can discuss and schedule games with each other.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread?

Yes, there are a few rules and guidelines that members are expected to follow while participating in the Physics Forums Chess Club/Thread. These include being respectful to other players, following the rules of Chess.com, and maintaining a friendly and welcoming environment for all members. These rules are in place to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for everyone in the club.