Physics graduate studies applicable to sustainable technologies

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in pursuing graduate studies in physics with a focus on sustainability and energy sustainability. They are seeking advice on specific areas of physics that have immediate applications in sustainable technologies and the location of research groups in these areas. The conversation also mentions the speaker's preference for a hands-on approach and tangible results rather than theoretical work. They mention specific areas such as photovoltaics and plasma physics, and inquire about other potential areas such as biophysics and materials science.
sir_manning
Hi

I'll be wrapping up my undergrad in physics in about a year, and I'm starting to seriously think about grad school. What I'd like to be doing eventually is applying physics to issues of sustainability, particularly energy sustainability.

At the moment, I'm trying to decide what areas of physics are most applicable to these issues and how much appeal they hold for me. Ideally, I'd like do grad school somewhere that is actively using physics for developing sustainable technologies, not just doing pure research in an area that *may* have potential applications down the road. I prefer a hands-on approach and would much rather work towards a tangible result rather than do theoretical work.

So my questions are: What are areas of physics that have immediate applications to sustainable technologies? What are some of the research groups in these areas and where are they located? Photovoltaics and plasma physics come to mind - what are some others, no matter how obscure? Anything going on in biophysics? What about better batteries - what areas are used for these?

Please be specific: "semiconductor physics for photovoltaics" isn't as enlightening as "applying quantum tunnelling seen in photosynthesis to photovoltaics".

And finally, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
my situation and aspirations are exactly the same. i have the vague notion that i want to get into condensed matter physics and materials science. i'd also be interested to hear any ideas.

You could consider going into materials science.

1. What is the focus of graduate studies in physics for sustainable technologies?

The focus of graduate studies in physics for sustainable technologies is to apply the principles of physics to develop and improve sustainable technologies, such as renewable energy sources, energy-efficient materials, and sustainable manufacturing processes.

2. What are the career opportunities for graduates of physics graduate programs with a focus on sustainable technologies?

Graduates of physics graduate programs with a focus on sustainable technologies can pursue careers in research and development, consulting, and teaching in various industries, including energy, environmental science, and engineering.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a graduate program in physics for sustainable technologies?

You will gain a strong foundation in physics principles and their application to sustainable technologies, as well as skills in data analysis, problem-solving, and critical thinking. You will also learn about current and emerging sustainable technologies and their impact on the environment and society.

4. Are there specific prerequisites for applying to a graduate program in physics for sustainable technologies?

While specific prerequisites may vary between programs, most graduate programs in physics for sustainable technologies require a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or environmental science. Some programs may also require coursework in specific areas, such as thermodynamics and electromagnetism.

5. How can I make the most out of my graduate studies in physics for sustainable technologies?

To make the most out of your graduate studies in physics for sustainable technologies, it is important to actively engage in coursework and research projects, network with professionals in the field, and seek out internships and other opportunities for hands-on experience. Additionally, staying current with advancements and developments in sustainable technologies will also enhance your understanding and potential contributions to the field.