1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics into Comp Eng after BSc.

1. Jun 1, 2007 #1
    Bottom line: I want my BSc. in physics! I love to study it and don't think I'd feel comfortable majoring in something else. Call me crazy if you like :)

My question: How hard would it be to get into computer engineering at a master's level after I get my BSc.? Can I ever get my professional degree without doing an undergrad degree in engineering? How would I compare to other engineers if I got a master's degree in some area of CE?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Seems like it would depend on the school. Have you talked with your advisor about this? What schools are you considering for the graduate engineering degree? What are their published entrance requirements?

4. Jun 1, 2007 #3
    Hehe. Ok, maybe I should have said a bit more. I'm only going into my second year this fall so I haven't really been talking to my advisors or looking at schools (which maybe I should do?).

My main worry is that I won't be able to get my "professional status" or whatever you want to call it for med and engi students. Are you saying it really depends on the schools I'm considering?

I've just always been "into" the digital electronics "scene" from both the CS and CE perspectives, but I love to study the fundamentals offered in physics.

(for instance I really enjoy the scientific computation and digital electronics courses offered by my physics department.)

I suppose I just want to know if what I'm considering is completely unheard of? I would have thought no.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  5. Jun 1, 2007 #4
    I can't really offer any advice, but you might want to be careful, because physics can be addictive for some people. I came into college thinking I'd get my BS in physics just to satisfy my interest in the subject, and then go to medical school. The problem is that I realized what I'd learned in undergrad barely scratched the surface. Alas, now here I am in graduate school (in physics, of course).

6. Jun 2, 2007 #5
    what do u want to do with a CE? Try to go find a program in high performacne c omputing for physics or math or chem.

7. Aug 2, 2007 #6
    cscott, i'm in the same boat that you are. I'm in my last undergrad year pursuing a BS in physics, and I'd really like to get into either Computer engineering or computer science when I graduate. From what I hear, you'll be fine with a background in physics as long as you take a few undergrad engineering courses CE grad school. Don't take this as fact though, this is only hearsay. Could someone confirm this for me?

I personally am going to try to code for some company when I get out of school, and if it doesn't suit me i'll go for the engineering degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?