1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Kinetic Energy Question

1. Sep 18, 2009 #1
    You are about shoot two identical cannonballs straight up into the air. The first cannonball has 2.0 times as much initial velocity as the second. How many times higher will the first cannonball go compared to the second?

How do you do this

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2009 #2
    Total energy = Kinetic + Potential in this scenario, right? Also note that the energy is conserved (well, assuming no air resistance)

As each ball travels higher into the air the potential becomes larger, which means the kinetic energy decreases until all the energy is potential. This is where each ball will stop.

Does this help?

4. Sep 18, 2009 #3
    So what formula should I used, how should i plug the numbers in

5. Sep 18, 2009 #4
    I actually don't think you need kinetic energy for this... Try using kinematics equations.

6. Sep 18, 2009 #5
    How about helping me out, and showing me how to do this.

I know my equations, I dont know what to use, plus I need to understand the concept....

7. Sep 18, 2009 #6
    Well, since they're both shot straight up, the only acceleration you need to worry about is gravity. Find an equation with only initial and final velocity, acceleration, and displacement. Set the equations equal to each other. Solve for final position.

Sorry, there's really not too much more I can say without giving you the work, and the point is just to point you in the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook