1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Magnetism - Wire Carrying Current in a Loop

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a theoretical question, one I'm not sure about. It just randomly popped into my head.
    Say there is a jumbled wire, one in a glob shape but not overlapping. (Like a deformed circle, or maybe just a rectangle).
    Assuming we are in a place called "physics utopia" where the wire is closed and a continuous current circles through it, would the said rectangle or "glob" eventually become a circle due to the outward force caused by the magnetic field and current.?
    I did the corkscrew rule and right hand rule, and in a rectangle/glob, the force on all points of the wire points outward, so just wondering if a circle would eventually be formed.

2. Relevant equations
    Corkscrew rule to find the direction of magnetic field
    Right hand rule to find direction of force using known current and magnetic field (I found it was outwards basically everywhere).

3. The attempt at a solution
    Stated above

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So there is not an unbalanced charge on the loop - but there is a current in the loop ... you are thinking that places in the loop which carry opposite currents will exert a repulsive force on each other so they must add up to a net outward pressure?
    That seems reasonable... have you had a look at how other people have answered the same question?

http://physics.stackexchange.com/qu...g-wire-of-arbitrary-shape-in-a-magnetic-field
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/comments/2uto4s/does_a_rectangular_loop_of_current_exert_a/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted