Physics-magnitude/ displacement?

In summary, a truck traveled 3.45 km north and then made a 90° left turn and drove another 4.10 km, taking a total of 4.50 min. The net displacement vector of the truck for this trip is -4.10 i + 3.45j. To find the magnitude of the average velocity, the distance formula (A^2+B^2=C^2) can be used to calculate the straight-line distance from the starting point to the ending point. For the second part, the relation between velocity, distance, and time can be used to calculate the magnitude of the average velocity. It is important to make the correct unit conversions for the answer.
J.live

Homework Statement

A truck travels 3.45 km north and then makes a 90° left turn and drives another 4.10 km. The whole trip takes 4.50 min.

1)With respect to a two-dimensional coordinate system on the surface of Earth such that the y-axis points north, what is the net displacement vector of the truck for this trip?

2) What is the magnitude of the average velocity for this trip?

The Attempt at a Solution

1) -4.10 i + 3.45j ? Is this right?

2) how will i solve for the magnitude? I mean i know we have to use the distance formula but it didn't work.

If some can explain and show some work in order for me to understand. It will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
So these directions form a 90 degree triangle, where one of the sides is 3.45 km long and the other side is 4.10 km long. However, these are just the components of your displacement. The problem wants to know the distance from start to finish following a straight line. Think A^2+B^2=C^2.

For the second part, you are given the time it takes for the whole trip and you calculated the displacement of the trip. Therefore, you have a distance and a time. What is the relation between velocity, distance, and time?

yeah the Pythagorean and theorem.

for the second one, I tried to find the magnitude and divide it by the time but didnt come out right

Make sure you make the correct conversions. I don't know what units your answer needs to be in, but it may be km/s, km/hr, or m/s.

1) Your answer for the net displacement vector is correct. The negative sign indicates that the displacement is in the opposite direction of the x-axis.

2) To find the magnitude of the average velocity, we need to first find the total displacement of the truck. This can be done using the Pythagorean theorem:

d = √((-4.10)^2 + (3.45)^2) = 5.30 km

Next, we need to find the total time taken for the trip. Since the truck traveled 3.45 km north and 4.10 km east, we can use the distance formula to find the total distance traveled:

d = √((3.45)^2 + (4.10)^2) = 5.30 km

Now, we can use the equation v = d/t to find the average velocity:

v = (5.30 km) / (4.50 min) = 1.18 km/min

Therefore, the magnitude of the average velocity for this trip is 1.18 km/min.

1. What is magnitude in physics?

Magnitude in physics refers to the size or amount of a physical quantity. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction. Examples of magnitude in physics include mass, velocity, and force.

2. How is magnitude different from displacement?

Magnitude and displacement are two different concepts in physics. Magnitude refers to the size or amount of a physical quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity that measures the shortest distance and direction between two points. Magnitude has no direction, while displacement has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is the formula for calculating magnitude?

The formula for calculating magnitude depends on the specific physical quantity being measured. For example, the magnitude of velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance: magnitude of velocity = distance/time. The magnitude of force is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration: magnitude of force = mass x acceleration.

4. How is magnitude used in physics?

Magnitude is an important concept in physics as it allows us to quantify and measure physical quantities such as distance, speed, and force. It helps us understand and describe the physical world around us, and is essential in solving equations and predicting the behavior of objects and systems.

5. How is magnitude related to other physical principles?

Magnitude is related to other important physical principles such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy. For example, the magnitude of a force acting on an object determines its acceleration, which follows Newton's second law of motion. The magnitude of a force also plays a role in determining the amount of work done on an object, which is related to the principle of energy conservation.