Finding the Magnitude and Direction of the Displacement Vector for a Ship's Trip

In summary, the ship traveled 130 km north from island A to island B, then 92 km at a direction of 22° south of east to island C. The total displacement in the last trip was calculated by adding the x and y components of the two trips, resulting in a magnitude of 128 km at a direction of 48.24° south of west. This is different from the solution found online, which may be for a slightly different question with a direction of 22° east of south, giving a total displacement of 56.44 km at a direction of 37.8° west of south.
Brendan Webb

1. A ship sails 130 km due north from island A to island B and then 92 km, in the direction 22° south of east, to island C. The ship after that returns directly to island A. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the displacement vector in the last trip. Draw appropriate diagrams.

Homework Equations

[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I would find the total displacement and that would be equivalent to the last trip.

D1 = X component = 0
Y component = 130sin(90) = 130

D2 = X component = 92cos(22) = 85.30
Y component = 92sin(22) = 34.46 (-) as it is the - Y direction

Adding the component together I get:

Dx = 85.30
Dy = 95.54

Using the Pythagoras Theorem I get 128 km in a tan-1 (95.54/85.30) = 48.24 south of west direction. (Total displacement?)

This makes sense to me when drawing it out. However, the only two answers I can find online give a way different solution that I can't comprehend, it is 56.44 km at 37.8 south of west. I figure i must be understanding the problem wrong but I can't for the life of me figure out how. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Brendan[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Brendan. Welcome to PF!

Your answer looks correct for the question as stated. The other solution that you found online appears to be for a slightly different question where "22o south of east" is replaced by "22o east of south". But in that case, they should have stated the direction of the answer as 37.8o west of south rather than south of west.

Last edited:
Likes Brendan Webb
TSny said:
Hello, Brendan. Welcome to PF!

Your answer looks correct for the question as stated. The other solution that you found online appears to be for a slightly different question where "22o south of east" is replaced by "22o east of south". But in that case, they should have stated the direction of the answer as 37.8o west of south rather than south of west.

Thank you very much, I was confident in my answer but not confident enough. Cheers :)

1. What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the distance and direction of an object's movement from its starting point to its ending point.

2. How is the magnitude of a displacement vector determined?

The magnitude of a displacement vector is determined by calculating the length of the vector using the Pythagorean theorem, which involves squaring the components of the vector and then taking the square root of the sum.

3. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the overall change in position, while distance refers to the total length traveled. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

4. How is the direction of a displacement vector expressed?

The direction of a displacement vector is typically expressed in degrees or radians, using reference points such as north, east, south, and west. It can also be expressed using the angle between the vector and a reference line.

5. How can the displacement vector for a ship's trip be calculated?

The displacement vector for a ship's trip can be calculated by determining the ship's starting and ending positions, and then using the coordinates to calculate the vector's magnitude and direction. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using a graph and measuring the vector's length and angle.