Displacement -0.25i + 14.7j from Origin: Final Displacement

In summary, the cyclist started at (0,0) and rode 3.0 km due west, then 16.0 km 23° west of north, and finally 9.0 km due east. The total displacement in vector form is -0.25i + 14.7j km. However, there was some confusion with the answer being rejected due to a slight variation in the initial value, causing frustration for the person solving the question.
Austin Gibson
1. A cyclist rides 3.0 km due west, then 16.0 km 23° west of north. From this point she rides 9.0 km due east. What is the final displacement from where the cyclist started (in km)? (Express your answer in vector form. Assume the +x-axis is to the east, and the +y-axis is to the north.)

Picture of question: https://gyazo.com/31eff7abeed1f8ef80293518c12f183b
2. Displacement = r final - r initial3. I converted the cardinal coordinates to (3, 180 degrees), (16, 113 degrees), and (9,0 degrees). The total of the vectors in vector form is -0.25i + 14.7j. That's the displacement if the origin is (0,0) by my estimation, but that answer was rejected. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try 14.73 for the ##\hat{j}## component. Otherwise I get the same answers.

Likes Austin Gibson
Austin Gibson said:
1. A cyclist rides 3.0 km due west, then 16.0 km 23° west of north. From this point she rides 9.0 km due east. What is the final displacement from where the cyclist started (in km)? (Express your answer in vector form. Assume the +x-axis is to the east, and the +y-axis is to the north.)

Picture of question: https://gyazo.com/31eff7abeed1f8ef80293518c12f183b
2. Displacement = r final - r initial3. I converted the cardinal coordinates to (3, 180 degrees), (16, 113 degrees), and (9,0 degrees). The total of the vectors in vector form is -0.25i + 14.7j. That's the displacement if the origin is (0,0) by my estimation, but that answer was rejected. What am I missing?

Your answer looks good to me.

Likes Austin Gibson
verty said:
Try 14.73 for the ##\hat{j}## component. Otherwise I get the same answers.
Thank you for your reply. Apparently, I entered -0.26i as my initial answer and it rejected that. Usually if the answer is close, it accepts it. Their criteria for solutions is frustrating.

PeroK said:
Your answer looks good to me.
As I mentioned to verty, after I increased -0.26i to -0.25i, it accepted by answer. I wasted an hour of my life on one question. :sorry:

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the overall change in position of an object. It takes into account both the distance and direction of the movement.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position of an object from its final position. It is represented by the symbol Δx, where Δ is the change in position and x is the position vector.

3. What does the notation -0.25i + 14.7j mean in displacement?

The notation -0.25i + 14.7j represents the final displacement of an object in a two-dimensional coordinate system. The i and j represent the x and y directions, respectively, and the numbers indicate the magnitude of displacement in each direction.

4. What is the origin in displacement?

The origin in displacement refers to the starting point or initial position of an object. It is often represented by the coordinates (0,0) in a two-dimensional coordinate system.

5. How does displacement differ from distance?

Displacement takes into account the change in position of an object, while distance only measures the total amount of ground covered by the object. Displacement also includes direction, whereas distance does not.