Physics/Mechanics Computer Games

In summary, the conversation discusses different physics and mechanics-based computer games, such as World of Goo, Cat Physics, Phun, Fantastic Contraption, and Garry's Mod. These games involve building structures and solving puzzles using physics principles. The conversation also mentions a thread on Physics Forums where other games are recommended.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
(wasn't sure where to post this)

Hey guys :)

Are there any physics/mechanics computer games (i.e. for the PC). A friend of mine has shown me a game where you build bridges with trusses and ropes and a train passes through it. If the bridge isn't well-constructed, it'll break! That game is called xconstruction (I think there are some clips on youtube of that). It's for the smartphone-- which I don't have. I just wonder and excited to know whether there are any similar games for the PC. I'd love to get my hands on them!

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
World of Goo is pretty much the best physics based puzzle / construction game right now.

Check it out!
http://2dboy.com/games.php

Also there is a game called Cat Physics for the iphone that is pretty good.

Awesome! I'll get it then. Looks fuzzy :D

Thanks!

No iphone here :(

The game "phun" looks like a much more physics-pertaining game. It was suggested to me by my classmate :)

The game "fantastic contraption" is a cool physics/engineering game. Just search for it in google!

micromass said:
The game "fantastic contraption" is a cool physics/engineering game. Just search for it in google!
Agreed. http://fantasticcontraption.com/index.php" is a good one.

There are a few others in this ancient thread as well (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=339567").

Last edited by a moderator:
Garry's Mod has some great community content that is tailored to the physics aficionado.

1. What is the difference between Physics and Mechanics in computer games?

Physics in computer games refers to the realistic simulation of physical laws and principles, such as gravity, motion, and collisions. Mechanics, on the other hand, refers to the gameplay mechanics or rules that govern how objects interact with each other.

2. How do computer games use Physics and Mechanics to enhance gameplay?

By incorporating accurate Physics and Mechanics, computer games can create more immersive and realistic experiences for players. This can include realistic movement and interactions between objects, as well as strategic use of gameplay mechanics to add depth and challenge to the game.

3. Can Physics and Mechanics be used in all types of computer games?

Yes, Physics and Mechanics can enhance gameplay in a variety of genres, from action-adventure games to puzzle games. It all depends on how the game developers choose to incorporate these elements into the gameplay.

4. What role do Physics engines play in Physics-based computer games?

Physics engines are software libraries or tools that simulate real-world physical interactions in a virtual environment. In Physics-based computer games, these engines are used to accurately calculate the movements and interactions of objects in the game world, creating a realistic and immersive experience for players.

5. Are there any educational benefits to playing Physics/Mechanics computer games?

Yes, playing Physics/Mechanics computer games can help players develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. These games require players to understand and apply principles of Physics and Mechanics to progress, making it a fun and engaging way to learn these concepts.