Physics Multiple Choice: Torque Direction

In summary, torque direction in physics refers to the direction in which a rotational force is applied to an object and is determined by the right-hand rule. The effect of torque direction on an object depends on the direction of the force and displacement, and it plays a crucial role in determining the direction of an object's angular momentum. Torque direction can be negative, resulting in a decrease or reversal of angular momentum.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

hibb4-8.gif

What is the direction of the moment?

A) along +x
B) along −x
C) along +y
D) along −y
E) into the page
F) Out of the page

Homework Equations

T=rf

The Attempt at a Solution

I said out of the page because when I use the right hand rule, my thumb points outwards but what do you guys say?

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be inwards now that I try it again

Wow I already seen that.

Force is up and Lever arm is up.

I would say that the direction of the moment, or torque, depends on the direction of the force and the distance from the pivot point. The right hand rule can be used to determine the direction of the moment vector, with your thumb pointing in the direction of the force and your fingers curling in the direction of rotation. In this case, without knowing the specifics of the problem, it is not possible to determine the direction of the moment. It could be along any of the given options, depending on the force and distance involved.

1. What is torque direction in physics?

Torque direction refers to the direction in which a rotational force is applied to an object. It is a vector quantity that is perpendicular to both the force vector and the displacement vector.

2. How is torque direction determined?

Torque direction is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the force and your fingers in the direction of the displacement, your palm will face the direction of the torque.

3. What is the effect of torque direction on an object?

The effect of torque direction on an object depends on the direction of the force and the direction of the displacement. If the torque direction is in the same direction as the rotation of the object, it will cause the object to rotate faster. If the torque direction is in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to rotate slower or even stop.

4. How does torque direction relate to angular momentum?

Torque direction plays a crucial role in determining the direction of an object's angular momentum. If the torque direction is in the same direction as the angular velocity, the angular momentum will increase. If the torque direction is in the opposite direction, the angular momentum will decrease or even reverse.

5. Can torque direction be negative?

Yes, torque direction can be negative. This means that the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative torque value. Negative torque can cause an object to rotate in the opposite direction or slow down its rotation.