Comparing Kinetic and Potential Energy in Falling Objects

In summary, a rocket moving through empty space with constant speed and far from any gravitational effects does not require any force to sustain its motion. In the case of a ball falling from a building, the kinetic energy just before striking the ground is less than the potential energy at the top of the building due to energy loss to air resistance. This is in accordance with Newton's first law.
future_vet

Homework Statement

A rocket moves through empty space in a straight line with constant speed. It is far from the gravitational effect of any star or planet. Under these conditions, the force that must be applied to the rocket in order to sustain its motion is ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I would say zero, since in the absence of an external force, a moving object will move with constant velocity...

A ball falls from the top of a building, through the air (air resistance is present), to the
ground below. How does the kinetic energy (KE) just before striking the ground
compare to the potential energy (PE) at the top of the building?
A) KE is equal to PE.
B) KE is greater than PE.
C) KE is less than PE.
D) It is impossible to tell.

The ball is falling, the potential energy decreases and the kinetic energy increases. When the ball hits the ground, I would say that KE is equal to PE. Would this be correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The final kinetic energy is actually less than than the initial PE because of the energy loss to air resistance. PE=KE+Wf

Thanks! Is the first one correct?

yes, Newton's first law.

Thank you!

1. What is the purpose of multiple choice questions in physics?

Multiple choice questions are designed to test your understanding of key concepts and principles in physics. They also help to evaluate your problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. How should I approach solving multiple choice questions in physics?

It is important to read each question carefully and consider all possible options before selecting your answer. Eliminate any obviously incorrect choices and use your knowledge of physics principles to make an educated guess if necessary.

3. Are multiple choice questions in physics only based on memorization?

No, multiple choice questions in physics require a combination of understanding and application of concepts. While some memorization may be necessary, it is important to also have a thorough understanding of the underlying principles and how they can be applied in different scenarios.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve multiple choice questions in physics?

In most cases, multiple choice questions in physics will not require a calculator. However, if a calculator is allowed during the exam, it may be useful for simplifying calculations and providing more accurate answers.

5. How can I prepare for multiple choice questions in physics?

To prepare for multiple choice questions in physics, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles. Practice solving similar questions and familiarize yourself with common question formats. Additionally, reviewing class notes, textbooks, and online resources can be helpful in preparing for these types of questions.