Physics — Net work on a box being pulled…

In summary: in summary, the box was pulled with a force of 100 newtons for 5 meters and the height of the inclined plane was 4 meters and the angle of inclination was 53 degrees. a) the work done by the force is 300,90 newtons. b) the work done by the normal force is 5 newtons. c) the work done by the gravitational force is 30.090 newtons. d) the net work done on the box is 200 newtons.
Arsana

Homework Statement

How to calculate the net work

Homework Equations

A 5 kg box is pulled with a force F = 100 N for 5 m long inclined plane. The height of the inclined plane is 4 m and angle of inclination is 53^

a) What is a work done by force F?

b) What is the work done normal force N?

c) What is the work done by gravitational force ?

d) What is the net work done on the box?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find a) one. I multiplied 100 * 5 * cos(53) = 300,90
2) N = mg cos(53) ; N = 5 * 10 * cos (53) = 30.090
3) Wg = -mg h
Wg = -200
4) ...?
I found all of the formulas in internet and now I am confused, because it seems like I have done nothing right. If you know that, answer me, please!

Attachments

• 118E75E6-1C14-4F1B-958B-F6FEAB7D6451.jpeg
    118E75E6-1C14-4F1B-958B-F6FEAB7D6451.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 384
Physics news on Phys.org
Arsana said:
I multiplied 100 * 5 * cos(53)
What direction is the applied force in?
Arsana said:
That's the normal force, but the question asks for the work done by it. How do you calculate the work done by a force?

haruspex said:
direction
There is nothing about direction on the picture

haruspex said:
work done by a force?
Work = Mass * Gravity * Height

Arsana said:
Wg = -200
With g=10m/s2, that is correct.

Arsana said:
There is nothing about direction on the picture
You have a picture? Can't you tell the direction from that? Basically, is the force horizontal or parallel to the slope?
Arsana said:
Work = Mass * Gravity * Height
That's for the work done by gravity. What about a force in general?

Arsana said:

Homework Statement

How to calculate the net work

Homework Equations

A 5 kg box is pulled with a force F = 100 N for 5 m long inclined plane. The height of the inclined plane is 4 m and angle of inclination is 53^

a) What is a work done by force F?

b) What is the work done normal force N?

c) What is the work done by gravitational force ?

d) What is the net work done on the box?

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find a) one. I multiplied 100 * 5 * cos(53) = 300,90
3) Wg = -mg h
Wg = -200
4) ...?
I found all of the formulas in internet and now I am confused, because it seems like I have done nothing right. If you know that, answer me, please!

There's a severe problem with the way you attempt to solve this problem. If this is what you are accustomed to, you have not understood anything. What you wrote in your solution are mostly undefined (i.e. what is "N", "W", etc..?).

You define these things (and the directions) by making a free-body diagram! This is a MUST in any problem like this (my students are required to show it and they will not receive full credit if the sketch is missing).

So start in the beginning and draw the free-body diagram!

BTW, why are you hunting through the "internet" for the relevant equations? Don't you come across them in class or in your text?

Zz.

What is net work in physics?

Net work in physics refers to the total amount of energy transferred to or from an object due to the application of a force over a certain distance.

How is net work calculated?

Net work is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance over which the force is applied. This can be represented by the equation W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

Does the direction of the force affect net work?

Yes, the direction of the force does affect net work. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's motion, the net work will be positive. If the force is applied in the opposite direction of the object's motion, the net work will be negative.

What is the unit of measurement for net work?

The unit of measurement for net work is joules (J), which is also the unit of measurement for energy.

Can net work be negative?

Yes, net work can be negative if the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of the object's motion. This indicates that energy is being taken away from the object, rather than added to it.