Physics Online courses over the summer, options?

In summary: I'm just saying that if it's really that important to you then you should probably try to find a way to squeeze Physics in somewhere else in your schedule.
Elysian
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking to take Physics I over the summer to get into AP Physics II C next year, and due to my schedule over the summer with multiple tennis camps and such, I cannot take it at my local community colleges because the professors will not let me miss X number of days, and the fact that one out of the two colleges here canceled their program, I'm left with the choice of an online course..

Is it advisable to do an online course for Physics I? I mean I understand stuff pretty easily and I'm extremely proficient at math, but I don't really know if that matters (Currently taking Calc 2).. But I've just been worried that Physics is a bit too much to cram into an online course and learn well enough..

Also, is there any good online programs that this forum or members of this forum recommend? I mean I've obviously googled some but they don't look too promising..

Thanks a lot

Elysian

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll speak for a lot of people here when I say online is NEVER the way to go to learn physics. I strongly advise AGAINST taking it this summer online (if you're taking it at the college then that's a different story). I'm not sure of any way you can make this work over the summer but maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

Clever-Name said:
I'll speak for a lot of people here when I say online is NEVER the way to go to learn physics. I strongly advise AGAINST taking it this summer online (if you're taking it at the college then that's a different story). I'm not sure of any way you can make this work over the summer but maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I was thinking the exact same thing, but due to my summer schedule there's no possible way I can take it at the college. The professor for the course would not let me miss more than 3 days of the course, whereas I have to miss atleast 11 due to tennis. But thanks anyways.

Then my advice is rethink your priorities... If tennis is really what you want to do then don't bother taking physics this summer, wait til the next academic year (September). If Physics is what you really want to do then you need to question how important Tennis is to you; If tennis is really that important to you then I suppose you'll have to take the online physics course and hope it turns out ok.

Edit: I just realized this post sounds rather harsh. If it were up to me in your situation I would wait until the Fall to take Physics. I'm not trying to get you to stop playing Tennis.

Hello Elysian,

It's great that you are looking for options to continue your physics education over the summer. Online courses can be a convenient way to learn, especially if you have a busy schedule. However, it is important to carefully consider the quality and effectiveness of the online program before enrolling.

Physics is a subject that requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and principles. While being proficient in math is certainly helpful, it is not the only factor in succeeding in physics. Physics involves critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which may be difficult to develop through an online course without the guidance of a physical teacher.

If you do decide to take an online course, make sure to thoroughly research the program and read reviews from previous students. Look for programs that have a good reputation and offer interactive learning materials, such as simulations and virtual labs. It may also be helpful to reach out to the program coordinators and ask about their teaching methods and support for students.

Ultimately, the best way to learn physics is through hands-on experience and interaction with a teacher and classmates. If possible, consider taking a physics course at a local community college or finding a tutor who can work with your schedule. This will provide you with a more comprehensive understanding of the subject and better prepare you for AP Physics II C.

Best of luck with your studies!

1. What are the benefits of taking a physics online course over the summer?

Taking a physics online course over the summer allows for flexibility in scheduling and can help students catch up or get ahead in their coursework. It also eliminates the need for commuting to a physical location, making it a convenient option for those with busy schedules.

2. Are there any prerequisites for taking a physics online course over the summer?

It depends on the specific course and institution offering the course. Some universities may require students to have completed certain math or science courses before enrolling in a physics course. It is important to check with the institution for specific requirements.

3. How do online physics courses compare to traditional in-person courses?

Online physics courses can offer the same level of rigor and content as traditional in-person courses. However, the mode of instruction may differ and require students to be self-motivated and disciplined in managing their coursework and assignments.

4. Can I receive college credit for taking a physics online course over the summer?

Yes, many universities offer online physics courses for credit. It is important to check with the institution offering the course to ensure that it is accredited and will transfer to your desired program or institution.

5. How do I choose the right online physics course for me?

It is important to consider factors such as the course content, instructor qualifications, and institution accreditation when choosing an online physics course. It can also be helpful to read reviews or talk to students who have taken the course before making a decision.