Physics or chemistry for career?

In summary: UK (since you say year 10 and not grades) but if not, then I guess the rest of my advice will be moot!Anyway, if this is the case, then why not take both Physics and Chemistry at A level-- this is a perfectly natural thing to do (I did it) and will enable you to get a deeper understanding of both subjects before deciding which one to take at university.In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on which field to pursue a career in, physics or chemistry. The conversation discusses the differences between the two fields, with physics requiring more complex math and offering fewer job opportunities compared to chemistry. However, it is also noted that there are more jobs available for bachelor's
sturmgewehr
Hello, I'm currently in year 10 at high school and trying to figure out which field I should pursue a career in. I like both fields equally, but don't know which one I should choose. I'm looking for some advice regarding the job opurtunities each field could offer.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, how about your liking towards Math?

Personally ... you'd require quite a lot of Math for pursuing Physics. Chemistry does require it too, but lesser compared to Physics. Also, at the undergrad level atleast I think you would be able to do more "cooler" stuff/ experiments in Chemistry labs then compared to Physics ...

Yeah, physics labs definitely suck until you get higher up in the curriculum. Chemistry labs are always fun, though.

You could also do Chemical Physics, which is sort of a blend between the two.

As others already said, it depends on how you like math. In physics, all you will ever be doing is deriving new equations and manipulating them. You will always be introduced to new math techniques and use them to model how nature functions. Its not like high school where its just basic algebra, it gets much deeper. In essence, by the time you're done with physics you will basically become an applied mathmetician.

As for chemistry, you will memorize a lot of reactions and reaction mechanisms. You will understand the 3d shape of molecules and how it contributes to the overall reaction. There is also a lot of categorizing and classifications. Strong math will be needed too, because you will be using quantum physics to explain chemical results.

Seeing as I'm doing both, via chemical physics, I'd say physics is way more abstract. You will be using logic and math to come up with results, and a visual component may not be present. With chemistry you will always be able to see the results, and most of it comes from the lab. I really view physics as a "math", and chemistry as a true "science" in that labs are an integral component. I like both equally well, so I can't give you a preference =)

One thing to consider is that there are a lot more jobs available for bachelor's degree holders in chemistry than there are in physics. One might argue that there are many in physics too, but they rarely have the title "physicist" and it can be exceedingly difficult to convince the HR department that you are actually qualified and/or a good candidate.

There are plenty of jobs titled "chemist" or "lab technician" for which a chemistry degree is an obvious and well-recognized credential.

In my experience (having degrees in physics), my friends with degrees in chemistry have a much easier time finding employment in chemistry and related fields, and the jobs they find are much more geographically diverse.

I would also agree with Chemistry. I am not in a chemistry program, although my program is very much related to Biological Chemistry and I have to say that the labs are very cool and fun.

Also with Chemistry, either in general Chemistry (such as Organic chem) or something more specialized as in BioChemistry, you will easily be able to find a good job - and probably way more fun too.

Although Physics jobs, I assume are great if you are working at an observatory or at NASA, or at some military installment.

Thank you all very much for the replies. I would consider myself to be quite good at maths, and enjoy it, though I have no intention of pursuing a career in it (I'm currently doing advanced maths at school).

So, from what I gather, physics would be a more difficult path, as there is complex math involved and scarcely available jobs, while chemistry would be somewhat easier with more jobs available.

I have one more question though. Considering I really enjoy electrical engineering and physics, I was wondering if there is a field in that is a cross between the two.

Howers said:
As others already said, it depends on how you like math. In physics, all you will ever be doing is deriving new equations and manipulating them. You will always be introduced to new math techniques and use them to model how nature functions. Its not like high school where its just basic algebra, it gets much deeper. In essence, by the time you're done with physics you will basically become an applied mathmetician.

I'm a physicist, and this doesn't sound anything like what I do.

sturmgewehr said:
Hello, I'm currently in year 10 at high school and trying to figure out which field I should pursue a career in. I like both fields equally, but don't know which one I should choose. I'm looking for some advice regarding the job opurtunities each field could offer.

Thank you.

I'm guessing you're from the UK (since you say year 10 and not grades) but if not, then I guess the rest of my advice will be moot!

Anyway, if this is the case, then why not take both Physics and Chemistry at A level-- this is a perfectly natural thing to do (I did it) and will enable you to get a deeper understanding of both subjects before deciding which one to take at university.

Cristo gave the best advice. I learned from a mistake this year - never take advice from people on certain courses or programs.

I listened to a few people on taking a course that they said was super easy and did not take a course I would have loved to do. In the end, I worked my butt off for this course, and hated it miserably although I am hoping for a mid 80 in it. As for the other course, if I had taken it I would have loved it a lot (I know this, because I later on found a friend who took the course, and he showed me the curriculum which was very interesting).

So, :) , after all that nonsense talk I would listen to Cristo.

cristo said:
I'm guessing you're from the UK (since you say year 10 and not grades) but if not, then I guess the rest of my advice will be moot!

Anyway, if this is the case, then why not take both Physics and Chemistry at A level-- this is a perfectly natural thing to do (I did it) and will enable you to get a deeper understanding of both subjects before deciding which one to take at university.

Good guess, but not quite. I'm actually Australian. I will try to do both in my last years at school, hopefully then I will get a good idea of what I want to do.

1. What is the difference between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, space, and time. It focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Chemistry, on the other hand, is the study of the composition, properties, and reactions of substances. It deals with the structure and behavior of molecules and atoms.

2. Which field, physics or chemistry, is more suitable for a career?

Both physics and chemistry offer great career opportunities. It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. If you enjoy understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and solving complex mathematical problems, then physics might be a good fit for you. If you are interested in the properties and interactions of different substances, then chemistry might be a better choice.

3. What are the job prospects for physics and chemistry majors?

Both physics and chemistry majors have a wide range of career options. Physics majors can pursue careers in research, engineering, data analysis, or teaching. Chemistry majors can work in industries such as pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, food and beverage, or environmental science. Additionally, both fields offer opportunities in academia and government agencies.

4. Is it necessary to have a graduate degree in physics or chemistry for a successful career?

It is not necessary to have a graduate degree for a successful career in physics or chemistry. However, having a graduate degree can open up more job opportunities, especially in research and academia. It also allows for higher salaries and more advanced positions.

5. What skills are important for a career in physics or chemistry?

Some important skills for a career in physics or chemistry include problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, attention to detail, strong mathematical skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team. Additionally, good communication and writing skills are important for presenting research findings and collaborating with others in the field.