Physics Phd without subject test

In summary, the conversation revolves around the ranking and reputation of various schools for a Physics PhD program, with a focus on condensed matter and statistical physics. The person applying has a MSc degree in physics and has published two papers in phys. rev., but is unsure if it is possible to get an acceptance without a physics subject test. The schools they are applying to are Brown, University of Michigan, Carnegie Mellon, Rice, University of Florida, and Duke, and the person is an international student. They are also considering going back to school and are debating whether or not to take the subject test. It is noted that all of the institutions listed highly recommend the subject GRE, with Brown and UMich not requiring it. However, the person missed
ssapple
Hi,

Can you rank or comment on the following schools in terms of their overall reputation and quality. I am applying for Physics phd, concentrated in condensed matter and statistical physics.

Also, do you think it is possible to get an acceptance without a physics subject test. (I have a MSc degree in physics, published two papers in phys. rev., have a GRE quantative score of 800)

The schools I am applying are:

Brown
University of Michigan
Carnegie Mellon
Rice
University of Florida
DukeThanks!

note: i am an international student

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea. But I am curious to learn how old you are. I just need some data to implore me to go back to school

ssapple said:
Also, do you think it is possible to get an acceptance without a physics subject test.

You could have googled each department and found out for yourself that all of the institutions you listed at the least highly recommend the subject GRE. Brown and UMich don't require it, the rest do.

fss said:
You could have googled each department and found out for yourself that all of the institutions you listed at the least highly recommend the subject GRE. Brown and UMich don't require it, the rest do.

yes, i know they highly require it. but what i want to learn is the experience if anyone has some.

You've got a physics masters degree. Why don't you just take the subject test?

Jack21222 said:
You've got a physics masters degree. Why don't you just take the subject test?

because i missed the fall exam because it is given only at two locations in my country and that was full already. so the next one is in april, which is too late for my application. i am applying for fall 2011.

It is especially important for international students to take the subject GRE, because the department may have no other way to judge the quality of their preparation. Not taking it will harm you.

1. Can I get into a Physics PhD program without taking the subject test?

Yes, it is possible to get into a Physics PhD program without taking the subject test. However, it may be more difficult as many programs use the subject test as a criteria for admission. It is best to check with individual programs to see if they have any specific requirements.

2. Will not taking the subject test affect my chances of getting accepted?

Yes, not taking the subject test may affect your chances of getting accepted into a Physics PhD program. As mentioned before, many programs use the subject test as a criteria for admission. It is possible that your application may not be as competitive compared to other applicants who have taken the subject test.

3. Are there any alternative ways to demonstrate my knowledge in Physics?

Yes, there are alternative ways to demonstrate your knowledge in Physics. Some programs may accept other standardized tests such as the GRE or the MCAT as a substitute for the subject test. You can also showcase your knowledge and skills through relevant coursework, research experience, and strong letters of recommendation.

4. Are there any disadvantages to not taking the subject test?

Yes, there are potential disadvantages to not taking the subject test. As mentioned before, it may affect your chances of getting accepted into a program. Additionally, not taking the subject test may also limit your options for schools and programs, as some may require the subject test for admission.

5. Are there any benefits to not taking the subject test?

It is difficult to say if there are any definite benefits to not taking the subject test. Some may argue that not taking the subject test could save time and money, as it is an additional test that requires preparation and registration fees. However, as mentioned before, not taking the subject test may also limit your options for schools and programs. It is important to weigh the potential pros and cons before deciding whether or not to take the subject test.