1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem to fine average force

1. Nov 22, 2011 #1
    A set of crash tests consists of running a test car moving at a speed of 11 m/s (24.2 m/h) into a solid wall. Strapped securely in an advanced seat belt system, a 57 kg (125.4 lbs) dummy is found to move a distance of 0.81 m from the moment the car touches the wall to the time the car is stopped. Calculate the size of the average force which acts on the dummy during that time.

I do not get this question, i have been working on it for days but i am extremely frustrated

I used the equation
    v^2 + u^2 = 2as

where v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration, s = displacement.
    so i said
    0^2 + 11^2=2(a)(0.81)
    It gave me the wrong answer.
    but i think that i have to use mass, and my teacher has not shown me a formula in which mass is included

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Show what you've done and where you are stuck.

Hints: You can solve this using energy methods (consider the work done by the wall) or kinematics (find the average acceleration).

4. Nov 22, 2011 #3
    can you answer it now .

5. Nov 22, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That should be v^2 = u^2 + 2as.

That will give you the acceleration. Then use Newton's 2nd law to find the net force. (Yes, you'll need the mass.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook