Physics problem to fine average force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average force acting on a dummy during a crash test. It involves using either energy methods or kinematics to find the acceleration and then Newton's 2nd law to find the net force, taking into account the mass of the dummy.
rachels5
A set of crash tests consists of running a test car moving at a speed of 11 m/s (24.2 m/h) into a solid wall. Strapped securely in an advanced seat belt system, a 57 kg (125.4 lbs) dummy is found to move a distance of 0.81 m from the moment the car touches the wall to the time the car is stopped. Calculate the size of the average force which acts on the dummy during that time.

I do not get this question, i have been working on it for days but i am extremely frustrated

I used the equation
v^2 + u^2 = 2as

where v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration, s = displacement.
so i said
0^2 + 11^2=2(a)(0.81)
It gave me the wrong answer.
but i think that i have to use mass, and my teacher has not shown me a formula in which mass is included

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show what you've done and where you are stuck.

Hints: You can solve this using energy methods (consider the work done by the wall) or kinematics (find the average acceleration).

can you answer it now .

rachels5 said:
I used the equation
v^2 + u^2 = 2as
That should be v^2 = u^2 + 2as.

where v = final velocity, u = initial velocity, a = acceleration, s = displacement.
so i said
0^2 + 11^2=2(a)(0.81)
It gave me the wrong answer.
That will give you the acceleration. Then use Newton's 2nd law to find the net force. (Yes, you'll need the mass.)

Don't worry, it's completely normal to feel frustrated when tackling a difficult physics problem. Let's break it down step by step and see if we can figure out the correct answer.

First, let's identify the given information:
- Test car speed: 11 m/s
- Dummy mass: 57 kg
- Dummy displacement: 0.81 m

Next, we need to determine what equation to use. Since we are looking for the average force, we can use the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. We can also use the equation v^2=u^2+2as, which you have already attempted to use. Both equations are valid, but it's important to use the correct values for each variable.

Using the first equation, F=ma, we need to find the acceleration of the dummy. To do this, we can use the equation a=v/t, where v is the final velocity and t is the time taken for the car to stop. From the given information, we know that the final velocity is 0 m/s (since the car stops) and the initial velocity is 11 m/s. We can also calculate the time taken for the car to stop using the equation t=s/v, where s is the displacement and v is the initial velocity. Plugging in the values, we get t=0.81/11=0.0736 seconds.

Now, we can calculate the acceleration using the equation a=v/t=11/0.0736=149.46 m/s^2.

Finally, we can plug in the values for mass (57 kg) and acceleration (149.46 m/s^2) into the equation F=ma to get the average force: F=(57)(149.46)=8546.22 N.

Using the second equation, v^2=u^2+2as, we can calculate the acceleration directly. Plugging in the values, we get a=(0)^2-(11)^2/2(0.81)=-72.839 m/s^2. This is a negative value because the car is decelerating. We can then use this value for acceleration and the given mass (57 kg) to calculate the average force: F=(57)(-72.839)=-4150.623 N.

It's important to note that both equations give slightly different answers, but this is due to

1. What is the formula for calculating average force in a physics problem?

The formula for calculating average force is F = m x a, where F is the average force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you determine the mass of an object in a physics problem?

To determine the mass of an object, you can use a scale or balance to measure its weight. The mass of an object is directly proportional to its weight, so if you know the weight, you can calculate the mass.

3. Can the average force in a physics problem be negative?

Yes, the average force in a physics problem can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion of the object.

4. What are the units of measurement for average force in a physics problem?

The units of measurement for average force in a physics problem are Newtons (N). This is a derived unit that represents the force required to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

5. How can you use average force to solve a physics problem?

Average force is a crucial component in solving many physics problems. It can be used to determine the acceleration of an object, the mass of an object, or the magnitude of a force acting on an object. By plugging in known values into the formula F = m x a, you can solve for the unknown variable and solve the physics problem.