1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem with electrodynamics

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    hello dear friends, i have another problem in physics, it has to do with electrodynamics.

if we have a sphere with total loading Q which is uniformly distributed throughout it's volume, how can we find the voltage for R/2<=r<=R and for r>=R? (assume that we know E).

i know that Va - Vb = integral(ra/rb) of Edl

but I cant understand how to use it here

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

this is a good candidate for guass's law

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    it would be a good candidate (i guess) if we didnt know the value of E, but as i said we know E for (1) R/2<=r<=R and (2)r>=R

(1) E = k*Q*r/R^3
    (2) E = k*Q/r^2

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    for r>=R/2

if we say V(inf) = 0

then for r > R/2

we will have

V(r) - V(inf) = Integral[r,inf] * Edl = (1/4p*eo)*Q/r

for r = R

we have V(R) = (1/4p*eo)*Q/R

so for r>=R/2

it will be V(r) = (1/4pe) * Q* (1/r - 1/R) ?

:S

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5

lanedance

Homework Helper

you method looks reasonable, though i'm not so sure about the 2nd integration part...
    so following what you have done, you mean for r>R and E = k*Q/r^2
    [tex] V(r) = V(r) - V(\infty) = - \int_{\infty}^r \vec{E} \bullet \vec{dr} = - \int_{\infty}^r dr \frac{kQ}{r^2} = \frac{kQ}{r}
    [/tex]

note as the field is only dependent on r, we can differentiate reasonably easy & it gives the correct field, and the potential goes to zero as required, so we're looking good
    [tex] \vec{E} = -\nabla V(r)= -\frac{dV(r)}{dr}\vec{\hat{r}} = \frac{kQ}{r}\vec{\hat{r}} [/tex]

and fidning the correct offset potential for the edge of the sphere is
    [tex] V(R)= \frac{kQ}{R} [/tex]

then for r<R, inside the sphere, integerate similar to before & carry the constant for V(R) so the potential is at the correct offset
    [tex] V(r)-V(R) = - \int_{R}^r \vec{E} \bullet \vec{dr}
    [/tex]

now if you differentiate the potential you have found, you don't get the correct field, so i would look have a look at the integral again
    [tex] \vec{E} = -\nabla V(r)= -\frac{d}{dr}( \frac{kQ}{r}-\frac{kQ}{R})\vec{\hat{r}}= \frac{kQ}{r^2}\vec{\hat{r}}[/tex] ???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook