1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics program, Ryerson or York?

1. Mar 15, 2014 #1
    I'm currently in a predicament where i'm not sure what school i should accept for physics.

I've been accepted to both York U and Ryerson, and am waiting (hopefully) for my UofT acceptance. But as i am now, if i were to pick from either York U or Ryerson, which of the two would have a better physics program.

Any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2014 #2
    Off the top of my head, I've seen York actually "advertising" its physics program and nothing from Ryerson, so...
    Plus, my Grade 12 physics teacher graduated from York.

I suggest that you look more closely at the details offered by the two universities about their physics programs, and then compare.

4. Mar 15, 2014 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I was going to look at the two programs on the web, but then I thought "shouldn't you be doing that?". You should look at the two programs on the web, and pick the stronger one. If you can't tell, you should describe the programs here and ask specific questions.

5. Mar 15, 2014 #4
    Definitely go with York. If I recall Ryerson doesn't even have a specified physics program. They do have a medical physics program if thats what your interested in. Although, If you get into UFT I would definitely recommend it.

6. Mar 15, 2014 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

York is a large school (50,000 students) with more physics faculty members and a more varied program. My wife got her B.Sc. in physics from York, and I think that she received a good education, but that was longer ago than I am allowed to disclose.

7. Mar 15, 2014 #6
    Ryerson does not have a real physics program. They have medical physics only.

York is not a well known/ranked school overall, and they don't have a good physics department, but they have a great aerospace engineering department and there are still some good professors who you would be able to work with if you were in physics. The campus is also in the middle of nowhere (an industrial area/ low-income neighborhood with a lot of crime) if that's a factor in your decision.

8. Mar 15, 2014 #7
    I think all i needed was a little reassurance from other people that the research i conducted toward both universities and their programs offered was accurate. I'm most likely going to go with York U if UofT doesn't take me. Thanks for all your replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook