Physics program, Ryerson or York?

In summary, the individual is currently considering whether to accept an offer from York University or Ryerson for their physics program. They mention that York University has been actively promoting their physics program and their Grade 12 physics teacher graduated from there. However, they also mention that Ryerson does not have a specified physics program and only offers medical physics. The individual is advised to thoroughly research and compare the two programs before making a decision. It is also noted that York University has a larger student population and more physics faculty members, and the individual's spouse received a good education from there. However, it is mentioned that York University is not well-known or highly ranked overall and the campus is located in an industrial area with a high crime rate. Ultimately, the
Boreen
I'm currently in a predicament where I'm not sure what school i should accept for physics.

I've been accepted to both York U and Ryerson, and am waiting (hopefully) for my UofT acceptance. But as i am now, if i were to pick from either York U or Ryerson, which of the two would have a better physics program.

Any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, I've seen York actually "advertising" its physics program and nothing from Ryerson, so...
Plus, my Grade 12 physics teacher graduated from York.

I suggest that you look more closely at the details offered by the two universities about their physics programs, and then compare.

I was going to look at the two programs on the web, but then I thought "shouldn't you be doing that?". You should look at the two programs on the web, and pick the stronger one. If you can't tell, you should describe the programs here and ask specific questions.

Definitely go with York. If I recall Ryerson doesn't even have a specified physics program. They do have a medical physics program if that's what your interested in. Although, If you get into UFT I would definitely recommend it.

York is a large school (50,000 students) with more physics faculty members and a more varied program. My wife got her B.Sc. in physics from York, and I think that she received a good education, but that was longer ago than I am allowed to disclose.

Ryerson does not have a real physics program. They have medical physics only.

York is not a well known/ranked school overall, and they don't have a good physics department, but they have a great aerospace engineering department and there are still some good professors who you would be able to work with if you were in physics. The campus is also in the middle of nowhere (an industrial area/ low-income neighborhood with a lot of crime) if that's a factor in your decision.

I think all i needed was a little reassurance from other people that the research i conducted toward both universities and their programs offered was accurate. I'm most likely going to go with York U if UofT doesn't take me. Thanks for all your replies.

1. What is the difference between the Physics programs at Ryerson and York?

The main difference between the Physics programs at Ryerson and York is the focus of the curriculum. Ryerson's program has a more applied and hands-on approach, while York's program has a more theoretical and research-based focus. Additionally, Ryerson offers a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Physics, while York offers both a BSc and a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Physics.

2. Which university has a better reputation for Physics?

Both Ryerson and York have strong reputations for their Physics programs. Ryerson is known for its practical and industry-relevant approach, while York is known for its research excellence and collaborations with leading institutions. Ultimately, the reputation of a university's Physics program depends on personal preferences and priorities.

3. What kind of research opportunities are available for Physics students at Ryerson and York?

Both Ryerson and York have various research opportunities for Physics students. At Ryerson, students can participate in research through the Undergraduate Research Opportunity program, while at York, students can work in research labs or participate in research-based courses. Students can also pursue research projects through external organizations and collaborations.

4. Are there any co-op or internship options for Physics students at Ryerson and York?

Yes, both Ryerson and York offer co-op and internship options for Physics students. Ryerson's program has a mandatory co-op option, while York offers a co-op option as well as optional internships. These opportunities allow students to gain hands-on experience and apply their theoretical knowledge in a professional setting.

5. Can I transfer between Ryerson and York's Physics programs?

Yes, it is possible to transfer between Ryerson and York's Physics programs. However, it is important to note that transfer requirements and credit transfers may vary between the two universities. It is best to consult with an academic advisor at both universities to determine the best course of action for your specific situation.