Space engineering student at York, should I transfer to Ryerson?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's experience studying space engineering at York University and their struggle with social anxiety and making friends. They are considering switching to Ryerson or UFT, but are unsure if it is worth repeating and upgrading their first year courses. The speaker is also concerned about the value of their degree and seeks quantitative data rather than relying on gossip and hearsay. They are advised to look deeper into their issues and try getting more involved on campus before making a decision. It is also suggested that they consider the degree of specialization they are taking on and look into the career prospects of graduates from both universities.
AleezaA
I am currently studying space engineering at york, i just completed my first year and did horribly. I wouldn't say the academics were the cause rather idk i think social anxiety got the best of me i haven't made one proper friend so far. A lot of people are telling me that this degree is going to be meaningless considering its from york and that i should switch to ryerson or uft. But to do that id have to almost repeat and upgrade all of the courses i have taken already (just first year) in order to meet the requirements. And now I'm just LOST, idk if its worth it? It sort of makes me happy because i feel like ill get a fresh start both academically and socially but then i hear a lot of people online saying that lassonde is going to be the next schulich and osgoode. I am honestly just confused is it really worth it? or should i just stick to york?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to find quantitative data rather than rely on gossip & hearsay.
I don't know what country you're in but quite a few studies have been done on graduate job prospects vs University.
Be aware that some don't control for degree type so can be misleading (ie they ignore that engineering graduates have better prospects than gender studies graduates).

Sure, with changing to a different school you'll get a fresh start, but it's probably worth looking a little deeper at your issues, because there's a big risk that all you'll end up doing is have the same cycle repeat itself.

What have you attempted to make friends? Have you joined any intramural teams? Have you tried living in residence? What about joining some clubs on campus or taking up a martial art? Or what about a part-time job that has opportunities to meet people? Everyone needs to blow off steam and universities are usually saturated with opportunities for involvement. If you need to go to a new school to feel like you can take advantage of such opportunties than changing is likely a good idea, otherwise you may not get that much out of it.

With regards to the value of your degree I agree with billy joule that you need to base decisions off of data rather than what other people say. Generally speaking an engineering degree from a Canadian university is going to be well-accepted among employers. You may want to think about the degree of specialization you're taking on at this stage of the game though. I don't know exactly what "space engineering" entails, but I suspect that a lot of the engineers working in the space industry have degrees that are not exclusive to it. Either way the department probably keeps data on where it's graduates are ending up. If they are going to places you can see youself going to, it's a good sign. If York Space Engineering graduates are ending up as Wal-Mart greeters and Ryerson graduates are ending up as NASA project managers then... well... make your decision.

1. Should I transfer to Ryerson for space engineering?

This ultimately depends on your personal goals and preferences. Ryerson is known for its hands-on approach to education and its strong connections with industry, which may be beneficial for those looking for practical experience in the field of space engineering. However, York is also a reputable university with a strong research focus, so if you are interested in pursuing a career in research, it may be best to stay at York.

2. What is the difference between studying space engineering at York versus Ryerson?

The main difference between studying space engineering at York and Ryerson is their approach to education. York has a strong focus on research, while Ryerson has a more hands-on and practical approach. Additionally, Ryerson has strong connections with industry, which may provide more opportunities for internships and job placements.

3. Will transferring to Ryerson affect my chances of getting a job in the space engineering industry?

Transferring to Ryerson should not negatively affect your chances of getting a job in the space engineering industry. Both York and Ryerson are reputable universities with strong programs in this field. What matters most to employers is your skills and experience, so focus on gaining practical experience and developing relevant skills during your studies.

4. Are there any specific courses or opportunities that Ryerson offers for space engineering students?

Ryerson offers a variety of courses and opportunities for space engineering students. Some notable ones include the Space Engineering Capstone Project, which allows students to work on real-world projects with industry partners, and the Space Design Challenge, a competition where students design and build a satellite prototype. Ryerson also has a strong partnership with the Canadian Space Agency, providing students with opportunities for internships and research projects.

5. What is the job market like for space engineering graduates from Ryerson?

The job market for space engineering graduates from Ryerson is promising. With the growing interest in space exploration and development, there is a demand for highly skilled professionals in this field. Ryerson's strong connections with industry and hands-on approach to education may also give graduates an advantage in the job market. However, it is important to note that job opportunities may vary and depend on individual skills, experience, and market conditions.