Physics - proving the stopping distance of a car

In summary, the problem involves calculating the stopping distance of a car given the initial velocity, reaction time, and acceleration. The student attempted to solve it using the wrong equation and made an incorrect assumption about the final velocity. The correct approach would be to use an SUVAT equation that relates distance, acceleration, and initial and final velocity and to take into account the distance traveled before pressing the brakes.
totomyl

Homework Statement

an accident occurs up ahead on the highway. a driver traveling at 120km/h [e] reacts in 0.20s and applies the brakes causing an acceleration of 8.0m/s2 [w]. show that the stopping distance is 76 m.
what am i doing wrong? i changed the acceleration to match the directions, so i made it negative. but i am not getting the right answer.

Homework Equations

d = vi * t + 0.5(a * t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted this by using:

d = (120km/h / 3.6[e])(0.20s) + 0.5(-8.0m/s[e] * 0.20s^2)

d = 6.5m?

Physics news on Phys.org
totomyl said:

Homework Statement

an accident occurs up ahead on the highway. a driver traveling at 120km/h [e] reacts in 0.20s and applies the brakes causing an acceleration of 8.0m/s2 [w]. show that the stopping distance is 76 m.
what am i doing wrong? i changed the acceleration to match the directions, so i made it negative. but i am not getting the right answer.

Homework Equations

d = vi * t + 0.5(a * t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted this by using:

d = (120km/h / 3.6[e])(0.20s) + 0.5(-8.0m/s[e] * 0.20s^2)

d = 6.5m?
The problem is you have assumed that the car goes from 120 kph to 0 kph in 0.2 s, which is not what the problem states. The driver takes 0.2 s to press the brake pedal after he sees the accident ahead of him.

You should pick another SUVAT equation which relates distance, acceleration,and initial and final velocity.

Likes totomyl
SteamKing said:
The problem is you have assumed that the car goes from 120 kph to 0 kph in 0.2 s, which is not what the problem states. The driver takes 0.2 s to press the brake pedal after he sees the accident ahead of him.

You should pick another SUVAT equation which relates distance, acceleration,and initial and final velocity.
So, I just have another question, in this question the final velocity would be at a stop, so 0 m/s correct? and also would i have to find the distance traveled before pressing on the brakes and add it to the distance it took while slowing down?

totomyl said:
So, I just have another question, in this question the final velocity would be at a stop, so 0 m/s correct? and also would i have to find the distance traveled before pressing on the brakes and add it to the distance it took while slowing down?
Yes and yes.

Likes totomyl
SteamKing said:
Yes and yes.
thank you, your answers have been very helpful and i am very grateful!

1. How is the stopping distance of a car determined in physics?

The stopping distance of a car is determined by the reaction time of the driver and the braking distance of the car. The reaction time is the time it takes for the driver to perceive a hazard and apply the brakes. The braking distance is the distance the car travels while decelerating to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect the stopping distance of a car?

The stopping distance of a car is affected by several factors, including the speed of the car, the condition of the brakes, the road conditions, and the weight and size of the car. Other factors such as the weather, tire condition, and the gradient of the road can also play a role.

3. What is the formula for calculating the stopping distance of a car?

The formula for calculating the stopping distance of a car is: stopping distance = reaction time x speed + (speed^2 / 2 x braking deceleration). This formula takes into account both the reaction time and the braking distance of the car.

4. Can the stopping distance of a car be reduced?

Yes, the stopping distance of a car can be reduced by increasing the alertness of the driver, maintaining the brakes in good condition, and driving at a safe speed. Additionally, anti-lock braking systems (ABS) can greatly reduce the stopping distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking up during braking.

5. How does the stopping distance of a car change with different road conditions?

The stopping distance of a car can vary greatly depending on the road conditions. For example, a car traveling at the same speed will have a longer stopping distance on a wet or icy road compared to a dry road. This is because the friction between the tires and the road surface is reduced on wet or icy roads, making it harder for the car to come to a stop.