1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics - proving the stopping distance of a car

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    an accident occurs up ahead on the highway. a driver travelling at 120km/h [e] reacts in 0.20s and applies the brakes causing an acceleration of 8.0m/s2 [w]. show that the stopping distance is 76 m.
    what am i doing wrong? i changed the acceleration to match the directions, so i made it negative. but i am not getting the right answer.

2. Relevant equations
    d = vi * t + 0.5(a * t^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    i attempted this by using:

d = (120km/h / 3.6[e])(0.20s) + 0.5(-8.0m/s[e] * 0.20s^2)

d = 6.5m?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem is you have assumed that the car goes from 120 kph to 0 kph in 0.2 s, which is not what the problem states. The driver takes 0.2 s to press the brake pedal after he sees the accident ahead of him.

You should pick another SUVAT equation which relates distance, acceleration,and initial and final velocity.

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3
    So, I just have another question, in this question the final velocity would be at a stop, so 0 m/s correct? and also would i have to find the distance traveled before pressing on the brakes and add it to the distance it took while slowing down?

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes and yes.

6. Apr 24, 2016 #5
    thank you, your answers have been very helpful and i am very grateful!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted