Calculate velocity of stopping car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Lizi
Messages
4
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


A car moving at 20m/s starts decelerating, travels distance d, and stops. Find the car’s velocity at distance d/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


my brain is fried. I feel like I’m missing something obvious but I just don’t get it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lizi said:

Homework Statement


A car moving at 20m/s starts decelerating, travels distance d, and stops. Find the car’s velocity at distance d/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


my brain is fried. I feel like I’m missing something obvious but I just don’t get it.

It was a bit of a brain 'fry' !

Time 'reversing' so that we have acceleration from 0 m/s instead of deceleration from 20 m/s:

$$ d = ½at^2 ⇒ \frac{d}{2} = ½a\left({\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}}\right)^2 ⇒v=\frac{at}{\sqrt{2}}$$
 
neilparker62 said:
It was a bit of a brain 'fry' !

Time 'reversing' so that we have acceleration from 0 m/s instead of deceleration from 20 m/s:

$$ d = ½at^2 ⇒ \frac{d}{2} = ½a\left({\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}}\right)^2 ⇒v=\frac{at}{\sqrt{2}}$$

But since you don't know ##a## you can't obtain ##t##, so you stick with two unknowns. I think the question should be solved independent of the time ...
 
Edit: This cross posted with some of the above;

It gives you the initial velocity (u) and asks you to find the cars velocity (v) after traveling a distance (s = d/2). What equation relates u,v,s and a?

You aren't given the acceleration (a) but you can work it out from the first part of the problem statement.
 
stockzahn said:
But since you don't know ##a## you can't obtain ##t##, so you stick with two unknowns. I think the question should be solved independent of the time ...
at = ?
 
neilparker62 said:
at = ?

Still, I think the medthod @CWatters proposes is the preferred one. Additionally it should be the OP's task to solve it ...
 
guys, I figured it out using the d=(v2-u2)/(2a) formula.
Thank you all so much
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: neilparker62